- Score: Merrimack 3, Assumption 0
- Records: Assumption (12-19, 5-11 NE10); Merrimack (15-14-1, 9-4-1 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: The Assumption baseball team struggled to string hits together today as Merrimack's PJ Browne tossed a four hit shutout to give the Warriors a 3-0 divisional win.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) took the bump today and went 6.0 innings, surrendering two runs while recording two strikeouts. Freshman Kyle Autilio (Saugus, Mass. / Saugus) came on in relief and went 2.0 innings allowing a run and striking out three batters, while classmate Manny PegueroMelo (Boston, Mass. / Xaverian) pitched a scoreless ninth inning.
- Merrimack got on the board first in the top of third inning when Mike Forgione walked, stole second and moved to third on a wild pitch. Joey Porricelli then doubled down the left field line to give the visitors a 1-0 lead. The Warriors scored once more in the sixth and again in the eighth to close the scoring at 3-0.
- Assumption's best chance to score came in the bottom of the seventh when freshman Matt Schneider (Dalton, Mass. / Wahconah Regional) led off with a single through the left side of the infield and junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) connected on a base hit to give the Hounds runners on first and second with one out. Browne however worked out of the jam to keep Merrimack's lead and his shutout intact.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Schneider led the Hounds at the plate with a 2-for-4 effort, while freshman Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) went 1-for-4 and Schmidt finished 1-for-4.
- The Hounds return to action Saturday, April 22, when they host Saint Anselm at Rocheleau Field for a doubleheader starting at 12:00 p.m.