- Score: Assumption 7, American International 4 (Game One), American International 8, Assumption 0 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (8-7); American International (4-11)
- Location: Haverhill, Mass.
- The Lead: The Assumption College baseball team split today's doubleheader with American International College, taking game one 7-4 before falling in the nightcap, 8-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Senior Kevin O'Connor (Leominster, Mass. / Leominster) got the start on the mound in game one for the Hounds, lasting three innings while surrendering four runs and striking out six batters. Freshman Kyle Autilio (Saugus, Mass. / Saugus) earned his first collegiate win on the mound in relief, pitching five scoreless innings while striking out nine batters. Classmate Ben Lambert (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy) pitched the ninth inning and picked up his first collegiate save.
- Assumption trailed 4-1 all game as the Yellow Jackets pounced early, but the Hounds rallied in a big way in the ninth inning, scoring six runs to take a 7-4 lead. Freshman Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) got the rally started as he led off the innings with a single, before classmate Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) moved him over to second on a fielder's choice. Junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) then reached on an error to move Adamson to third and sophomore Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) knocked him in for his eighth RBI of the season. After sophomore Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) reached on an error to score Schmidt, junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) hit a ground rule double to tie the game at four runs apiece. After senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) was intentionally walked to load the bases with two outs, the AIC pitchers issued two more walks and a hit batsman to force in three more runs.
- American International loaded the bases in the bottom of the ninth looking to send the game into extra innings or walk off with just one swing of the bat, but Lambert worked his way out of the jam to give the Hounds game one.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Quinlivan reached base three times, tallying a single, an RBI, a run scored and two walks.
- Tralli finished 1-for-5 but scored twice, hit a double and drove in a run, while Jaehnig went 1-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Junior Mike Curtis (Wilmington, Mass. / Wilmington) took the ball in game two, pitching five innings and surrendering five runs on seven hits, while striking out five batters and walking none.
- Jason Coscio was on the mound for American International and limited the Hounds to just two hits and two walks in a complete game shutout.
- The Yellow jackets struck first in the second innings, as they pieced together three runs before scoring twice more in the fourth and three more times in the sixth.
- Assumptions only threat to score was in the seventh inning as Jaehnig drew a one out walk and Byrne followed that up with a single to put two runners on with just one out. The Hounds were unable to do any damage as American International salvaged the split.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Jaehnig finished 1-for-2 with a walk to lead the Hounds, while Byrne went 1-for-3 and Schmidt went 0-for-1 with a walk.
- The Hounds return to action tomorrow as they travel to Molloy College to take on the Lions for a doubleheader starting at 12:00 p.m.