- Score: Assumption 8, Concordia 4
- Records: Assumption (5-4); Concordia (0-7)
- Location: Winter Park, Fla. (Alfond Stadium)
- The Lead: Sophomore Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) scored the tie-breaking run in the sixth inning and freshman Manny PegueroMelo (Boston, Mass. / Xaverian) came on in relief to throw 3.0 shutout innings to earn his first collegiate win as the Hounds keep rolling in Florida.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption and Concordia swapped runs in the first inning as senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) continued his hot hitting with a RBI double to left center, scoring sophomore Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) from third base.
- In the top of the third, junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) put the Hounds back in front with his third home run of the season, a solo shot over the left centerfield fence. Byrne followed that up with a single up the middle and two batters later freshman Matt Schneider (Dalton, Mass. / Wahconah Regional) recorded a RBI single to give the Hounds a 3-1 lead.
- After Concordia got a run back in the bottom half of the third, Assumption responded as junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) led off the inning with a walk and would later come around to score on a passed ball to give the Hounds a 4-2 lead.
- Concordia tied the game up at four runs a piece in the bottom of the fifth inning as the Clippers used three hits and a few wild pitches to score a pair of runs.
- Quinlivan broke the tie in the sixth as he scored on a fielder's choice from third base, before the Hounds blew the game open in the seventh inning. Schmidt drew a one out walk and Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) singled down the left field line to advance Schmidt to third base. Richardson then stole second, forcing a throw down from the catcher, allowing Schmidt to make a break for home to complete the double steal. Jaehnig and Byrne hit back-to-back RBI singles to make the score finish the game's scoring at 8-4.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Junior Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) started the game on the mound for Assumption and pitched 5.0 innings while allowing four runs on seven hits to go with seven strikeouts. PegueroMelo came on in relief and tossed 3.0 hitless innings of relief to earn his first collegiate win, before sophomore Mike Keinz (North Branford, Conn. / Notre Dame) took over and shut the door on Concordia, pitching the final inning and striking out two batters.
- Byrne once again led the way for the Hounds at the plate, going 4-for-5 with two RBI and a run scored. Jaehnig finished 2-for-5 with a homerun, two RBI and a run scored, while Tralli, Schneider, freshman Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) and Richardson each registered multi-hit games.
- The Hounds return to action tomorrow as they continue their Spring Break trip in Florida with a single game against NE10 foe Bentley at 11:00 a.m.