- Score: Game One: Assumption 10, Saint Anselm 7 Game Two: Assumption 8, Saint Anselm 1
- Records: Assumption (16-23, 11-14 NE-10, 7-10 NE-10 Div.) Saint Anselm (8-33, 3-21 NE-10, 3-16 NE-10 Div.)
- Location: Manchester, N.H. (Sullivan Park)
- The Lead: Behind a 26-hit effort on Saturday afternoon, the Assumption College baseball team picked up a doubleheader sweep of Saint Anselm College in divisional action at Sullivan Park in Manchester. The Hounds took game one by a 10-7 margin before completing the sweep in an 8-1 game two final.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In game one, the Hounds took a 1-0 lead as sophomore Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass./Boston College) had a two-out RBI double to right center in the first. Assumption put up a five-run second inning, led by a two-run homer from junior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass./Saint John's) and a two-RBI single up the middle from Jaehnig.
- A two-out solo homer to right from freshman Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass./Xaverian) made it a 7-1 game before the Hawks mounted a furious comeback. A three-run fourth closed the game to 7-4 as the Hawks had back-to-back triples and eventually tied the game at 7-7 with a two-run sixth inning.
- Assumption pushed across single runs in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings as freshman Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn./Northwest Catholic) gave the Hounds the lead for good in the seventh on a solo homer to left center for the 8-7 edge.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- McQuade was 4-for-4 with two runs scored, while Jaehnig had three hits and three runs batted in. Tralli and Byrne each had two hits, including two runs scored and two RBI from Byrne.
- Jon McQuarrie was 2-for-5 for the Hawks with two runs scored and two RBI, while Aaron Crandall had three runs batted in.
- Senior Steve Flynn (Worcester, Mass./St. Peter-Marian) had a no-decision as he went five innings with seven hits allowed. Freshman Geoffrey Kayo (Londonderry, N.H./Londonderry) got the win, going the final four innings with just two hits allowed to improve to 1-1 on the year. Tom Hudon took the loss for Saint Anselm as he gave up 11 hits and eight runs over seven innings to fall to 2-8.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Jaehnig got the Hounds off to a quick 1-0 start with an RBI double to left center in the first inning. After the Hawks scored their lone run of the game to tie it, junior Mike Coggeshall (Shrewsbury, Mass./Shrewsbury) doubled to left center for the eventual game-winning run and a 2-1 lead after three.
- Jaehnig posted a solo homer to left center in the sixth, followed by a single run in the eighth and a four-run ninth to key the 8-1 victory. McQuade had a solo shot in the ninth to lead off the inning, followed by a three-run homer by Coggeshall as he now has eight homers on the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Coggeshall and Jaehnig each ended the game with three hits each, while Coggeshall had four RBI and Jaehnig added a pair.
- Sophomore Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn./Oxford) improved to 2-7 overall with a complete-game effort as he scattered eight hits and had 10 strikeouts for the win. Saint Anselm's Joseph Levasseur fell to 2-6 in the loss, going eight innings with 10 hits allowed and six strikeouts.
- Assumption is back in action on Sunday, May 1st as the Hounds complete the three-game divisional series with Saint Anselm in an 11:30 a.m. start at Sullivan Park in Manchester, N.H.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the baseball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.