- Score: Merrimack 11, Assumption 6
- Records: Assumption (14-23, 9-14 NE-10, 5-10 NE-10 Div.) Merrimack (25-14, 15-7 NE-10, 9-5 NE-10 Div.)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: On Wednesday afternoon at Rocheleau Field, the Assumption College baseball team dropped an 11-6 final to Merrimack College as the Warriors took all three divisional games from the Hounds this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the second inning, the Warriors put up a pair of runs on three hits as Bobby Losanno roped a two-RBI double to left.
- The Hounds answered in the bottom of the fourth with three runs to take the lead as Assumption had five hits in the inning. After sophomore Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass./Boston College) reached on a leadoff double to center, senior Colin Clancy (Chelmsford, Mass./Chelmsford) drove him in with a double into the right field corner. Freshman Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass./Bishop Feehan) and Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn./Northwest Catholic) followed with RBI singles as the Hounds took the 3-2 lead.
- Merrimack regained the lead with a five-run sixth that included a bases-clearing double to right by Tyler Lyne for the 7-3 advantage. The teams each scored single runs in the seventh, including an RBI double down the left field line by junior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass./Saint John's) to score Jaehnig.
- After a three-run eighth to extend the lead to 11-4, the Hounds began a ninth-inning rally. Freshman Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass./Saint John's) singled to the second baseman and the ball got through the infield, scoring a pair of runs for the 11-6 margin. The Hounds loaded the bases before Merrimack reliever Mike Nolan ended the game on a strikeout for the five-run final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The two teams combined for 27 hits in the game, including a 3-for-3 performance from Jaehnig as he also scored two runs. Byrne and senior Tom Paine (Upton, Mass./Nipmuc Regional) each posted two hits, while Quinlivan had a pair of runs batted in.
- For the Warriors, Matthew Ronai was 4-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI, while Lyne had three hits and four RBI and Cam DiSarcina was 3-for-5.
- Sophomore Mike Curtis (Wilmington, Mass./Wilmington) went 5.2 innings, dropping to 4-3 overall as he scattered 11 hits with seven runs allowed and three strikeouts. Riley Sorenson improved to 4-0 in the win as he went five innings with eight hits allowed and four strikeouts for Merrimack.
- Assumption is back in action on Saturday, April 30th as the Hounds travel to Saint Anselm College for a Northeast-10 divisional doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m. in Manchester, N.H.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the baseball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.