- Score: Game One: No. 8 Franklin Pierce 5, Assumption 1 Game Two: No. 8 Franklin Pierce 15, Assumption 2
- Records: Assumption (14-21, 9-12 NE-10, 5-8 NE-10 Div.) Franklin Pierce (34-4, 15-2 NE-10, 10-1 NE-10 Div.)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: On Saturday afternoon in Northeast-10 divisional play, the Assumption College baseball team dropped a home doubleheader to No. 8 ranked Franklin Pierce University at Rocheleau Field. The Hounds fell by a 5-1 margin in the first game before the Ravens took game two by a 15-2 final.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Ravens got out to an early 2-0 lead over the first two innings as the visitors scored single runs in both frames. In the first, Jay Jabs roped a two-out triple to center and scored on an RBI single through the right side from Chris Lavorgna. Franklin Pierce followed that with a run by Kurtis White in the second as she scored on an RBI single to left center from Maxx Sheehan.
- Sheehan scored in the sixth to extend the lead to 3-0 as he came home on a two-out RBI double to right from Justin Brock. The Ravens posted two runs in the eighth, including a leadoff homer to right by White that chased Assumption starter Steve Flynn (Worcester, Mass./St. Peter-Marian). Brock then drew a bases loaded walk to account for the final run for the visitors.
- In the ninth, the Hounds got on the board as junior Mike Coggeshall (Shrewsbury, Mass./Shrewsbury) reached on a one-out single to right and later scored on a wild pitch for the 5-1 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Three Ravens had multiple hits in that game, including Brock going 2-for-4 with two RBI.
- Anthony Matarazzo went the distance for the Ravens to improve to 8-0 on the season. Over nine innings, he allowed just four hits with one run, five strikeouts and one walk. Flynn took the loss to drop to 2-6 overall as he went seven innings, giving up nine hits and four runs with four walks and eight strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In game two, the Ravens put up single runs in the first three innings for a 3-0 edge, followed by a three-run fourth as Franklin Pierce had a pair of hits in the inning and took advantage of two Assumption errors.
- Assumption got on the board in the fifth with a pair of runs as Coggeshall launched a two-out homer down the right field line, along with an RBI single through the right side from freshman Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn./Northwest Catholic) that scored sophomore Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass./Boston College).
- The Ravens answered with a six-run seventh inning and adding a single run in the eighth to account for the 15-2 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- John Friday was 4-for-4 with two RBI, while Max DiTondo was 3-for-4 and Jay Jabs was 2-for-6 with four RBI that included a two-run home run.
- Sophomore Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn./Oxford) dropped to 1-7 in the loss as he went five innings with 10 hits allowed, eight runs (four earned) and two strikeouts. For the Ravens, John Amendola improved to 5-1 as he went six innings and gave up six hits with two runs (one earned), three walks and three strikeouts.
- Assumption is back in action on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. as the Hounds host No. 8 Franklin Pierce for the third game of this weekend's Northeast-10 divisional series.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the baseball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.