- Score: Assumption 12, Stonehill 3
- Records: Assumption (14-15, 9-6 NE-10, 5-2 NE-10 Div.) Stonehill (15-12, 4-6 NE-10, 1-5 NE-10 Div.)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: Led by six players with multiple hits and another solid pitching performance, the Assumption College baseball team cruised to a 12-3 home win over Stonehill College on Thursday afternoon in Northeast-10 divisional play. The Hounds are now 8-2 at home this season and have won five of their last seven games overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption put up three runs in the bottom of the first inning as seniors Michael Panza (West Haven, Conn./Notre Dame) and Tom Paine (Upton, Mass./Nipmuc Regional) both came home, along with a run from sophomore Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass./Boston College). Paine came home on a sacrifice fly to left by junior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass./Saint John's), while Jaehnig scored on a single up the middle from freshman Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn./Northwest Catholic).
- The Skyhawks got on the board in the top of the third as Justin Nicklas came home on an RBI single to right center from Brian Campbell to cut the lead to 3-1. Nicklas reached on a walk to lead off the inning.
- After Paine reached on a leadoff hit by pitch in the bottom of the third, Jaehnig crushed a two-run homer to right for his fourth home run of the season and the 5-1 edge. Tralli tripled to left later in the inning and came home on a double to right center by senior Colin Clancy (Chelmsford, Mass./Chelmsford).
- Stonehill chipped away with two runs in the top of the fourth to get within 6-3 and seemed poised to continue the rally in the fifth. Hounds starting pitcher Mike Curtis (Wilmington, Mass./Wilmington) picked up the final out of the inning though as he tagged the Skyhawk runner out at the plate trying to score from third. The runner broke for home after the pitch got away and neared the backstop before Paine found Curtis at the plate for the tag.
- After Jaehnig scored on a sacrifice fly to right by Tralli in the seventh, the Hounds posted a five-run eighth inning to put the game out of reach at 12-3. Byrne and Clancy each posted two-RBI hits in the frame, along with a Tralli RBI double to score Jaehnig.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outhit the Skyhawks 14-4 in the game, including a 3-for-4 performance from Tralli as he scored twice and drove in two runs. Byrne and Clancy each finished with three RBI, along with a four-run, three-RBI performance from Jaehnig.
- Curtis improved to 4-1 on the season as he went five innings with three hits allowed, three runs (two earned), four walks and three strikeouts. Patrick Hurley fell to 4-1 in the loss as he went 3.2 innings, allowing eight hits, six runs and one walk with three strikeouts.
- Freshman Colton King (Westerly, R.I./Moses Brown Prep) went three innings of scoreless relief, allowing just one hit with one walk and five strikeouts. Senior Kevin O'Connor (Leominster, Mass./Leominster) pitched a perfect ninth as he picked up one strikeout in his third appearance of the season.
- Assumption is back in action on Saturday, April 16 as the Hounds travel to No. 8 ranked Southern New Hampshire University for a divisional doubleheader beginning at 3 p.m.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the baseball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.