- Score: Assumption 3, Saint Michael's 2
- Records: Assumption (7-10, 2-1 NE-10, 1-0 NE-10 Div.) Saint Michael's (0-9, 0-1 NE-10, 0-1 NE-10 Div.)
- Location: Northborough, Mass. (New England Baseball Complex)
- The Lead: Led by a dominant 16-strikeout performance from senior pitcher Steve Flynn (Worcester, Mass./St. Peter-Marian), the Assumption College baseball team picked up a 3-2 divisional win over Saint Michael's on Friday night at the New England Baseball Complex in Northborough, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds got on the scoreboard with a three-run fifth inning as senior Colin Clancy (Chelmsford, Mass./Chelmsford) and freshman Adam Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass./Bishop Feehan) led off the frame with hits. Senior Michael Panza (West Haven, Conn./Notre Dame) then reached on a bunt single and advanced to third on a two-base throwing error from the pitcher that scored both Clancy and Richardson on the play. Panza later came home on a groundout from senior Tom Paine (Upton, Mass./Nipmuc Regional) for the RBI and the 3-0 edge.
- Flynn didn't allow a hit until the top of the fifth and kept the Purple Knights off the scoreboard until the top of the ninth inning. Calvin Holland led off the ninth for the visitors with a solo homer to right field to cut the lead to 3-1. After Flynn struck out Sean Winthrop for his final K, Nick Addona then homered to right center to make it a one-run game as Flynn left in favor of senior Anthony Perry (Shrewsbury, Mass./Saint John's). Perry picked up his first save of the season with a scoreless inning as he posted a pair of strikeouts to clinch the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Four Hounds posted two hits apiece as Assumption outhit Saint Michael's by an overall 11-4 margin for the game.
- Flynn improved to 1-4 overall on the season as he scattered three hits with four walks and his career-high 16-strikeout performance.
- For the Purple Knights, Curt Echo went the distance as he gave up three runs (two earned) with six strikeouts and no walks as he dropped to 0-2 overall.
- Assumption is back in action on Saturday, March 26th as the Hounds host Saint Michael's College for a doubleheader beginning at 11 a.m at the New England Baseball Complex in Northborough, Mass.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the baseball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.