- Score: Bridgeport 9, Assumption 0
- Records: Assumption (6-10) Bridgeport (6-6-1)
- Location: Bridgeport, Conn. (The Ballpark at Harbor Yard)
- The Lead: In non-conference play on Wednesday afternoon, the Assumption College baseball team dropped a 9-0 final to the University of Bridgeport at The Ballpark at Harbor Yard. The game is a home and home between the two teams as the Purple Knights will visit Worcester on April 26th.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Purple Knights struck in the first with four runs as Bridgeport put up three hits and took advantage of two errors. Bridgeport posted three straight RBI hits in the frame, including a two-RBI double to left center from Ben Torres for the early 4-0 edge. All four of those runs were unearned, along with the team's single run in the fifth for the 5-0 advantage.
- Bridgeport capped off the game's scoring in the bottom of the fifth with a four-run inning as Alec Jannotta launched a two-out, two-run homer to left to end the scoring and the 9-0 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Offensively, junior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass./Saint John's) continued his outstanding play as of late as he finished the game 2-for-4 with a double while the Purple Knights held an overall 10-8 edge in total hits.
- Nine different Bridgeport players picked up a hit in the game, including a 2-for-3 outing by Jannotta as he had two runs scored and three runs batted in.
- Sophomore Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn./Oxford) dropped to 1-3 overall as he went five innings with eight hits allowed. He allowed nine runs overall, but just four of them were earned as he also posted one strikeout.
- Matt Van Riper improved to 2-1 on the season as he went six strong while scattering eight hits with one walk and three strikeouts.
- Assumption is back in action on Friday, March 25th as the Hounds host Saint Michael's College for a 7 p.m. start at the New England Baseball Complex in Northborough, Mass. The game begins a three-game divisional series between the Hounds and the Purple Knights.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the baseball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.