- Score: Stonehill 7, Assumption 2
- Records: Assumption (3-8) Stonehill (8-5)
- Location: Winter Park, Fla. (Alfond Stadium)
- The Lead: On Thursday afternoon at Rollins College, the Assumption College baseball team dropped a 7-2 final to Stonehill College at Alfond Stadium. The game is part of the 68th Annual Baseball Week, which is hosted each year by Rollins.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Stonehill got on the board in the bottom of the fourth with a three-run frame as all three runs were unearned off of Assumption starter Steve Flynn (Worcester, Mass./St. Peter-Marian). Assumption answered with a single run in the top of sixth though as freshman Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn./Northwest Catholic) led off the inning with a single to left center. After moving to second on a sacrifice bunt, Tralli eventually came home on an RBI single to center from junior Mike Coggeshall (Shrewsbury, Mass./Shrewsbury) to cut the margin to 3-1.
- Both teams put up single runs in the seventh, including a one-out solo homer from freshman Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass./Saint John's) for Assumption's second run of the contest. The homer was the third of the season and third in the last four games for Quinlivan. For the Skyhawks, Ben Monte came home on an RBI double to left by Justin Nicklas as the teams entered the final two innings with the 4-2 score in favor of Stonehill.
- The Skyhawks closed out the scoring in the eighth as Eric Schneider launched a three-run homer to score Brian Campbell and Steve Lee in the process. The home run came off of Assumption reliever Nick Massarelli (Southwick, Mass./Southwick), who came on in relief of Flynn after one batter in the eighth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Flynn took the tough luck loss for the Hounds to fall to 0-3 as he scattered eight hits with two earned runs to go along with five strikeouts over seven+ innings. Offensively, the Hounds had four hits as Coggeshall went 2-for-4 with one RBI.
- Three Skyhawks had multiple hits in the game, including a 2-for-4 outing from Schneider as he scored two runs and had four runs batted in.
- On the mound, Jeremy Roberts picked up the win to improve to 1-2 as he went 6.2 innings. He gave up just four hits with two earned runs, three walks and six strikeouts.
- The Hounds are back in action on Friday afternoon as the team takes on Concordia College (N.Y.) for a 2 p.m. start at Alfond Stadium.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the baseball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.