- Score: Florida Tech 9, Assumption 0 (Game One); Florida Tech 3, Assumption 2 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (1-5) Florida Tech (12-6)
- Location: Melbourne, Fla. (Seminick-Hall Field)
- The Lead: On Saturday afternoon, the Assumption College baseball team dropped a road doubleheader at Florida Tech in the team's opening games of the spring break trip. The Hounds fell 9-0 in game one before dropping a 3-2 final in the second game.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In game one, the Hounds ran into FIT starter Tyler Deel, who held Assumption to just one hit over eight innings as the Panthers picked up the 9-0 victory. Sophomore Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass./Boston College) picked up a double for the Hounds in game one, while senior Steve Flynn (Worcester, Mass./St. Peter-Marian) took the loss to drop to 0-2 overall. Over five innings, Flynn allowed 10 hits over five innings with six earned runs and three strikeouts.
- In the second game, the Hounds jumped out to a 2-0 lead with a pair of runs in the top of the fourth. Senior catcher Tom Paine (Upton, Mass./Nipmuc) led off the inning with a double to right center and eventually scored on a sacrifice fly to right from Jaehnig. Junior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass./Saint John's) reached on a hit by pitch and gave the Hounds a 2-0 lead as he scored on an RBI single to right by sophomore Bryan Guerrero (Boston, Mass./Catholic Memorial).
- The Panthers cut the lead in half in the bottom of the sixth as Daniel Szpik's RBI single thru the right side scored John Sternagel, who reached earlier on a one-out single to third.
- Florida Tech pushed two more runs across in the bottom of the seventh as the Panthers chased Assumption starter Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass./Saint John's). Horstkotte fell to 0-1 with the loss as he went 6.1 innings and scattered seven hits with three earned runs. Senior Anthony Perry (Shrewsbury, Mass./Saint John's) threw the final 1.2 innings in relief, allowing no hits while striking out three. Luke Lorah went two innings in relief for Florida Tech as he improved to 3-0 on the season.
- For the game, Paine finished 2-for-4 at the plate, while senior Colin Clancy (Chelmsford, Mass./Chelmsford) was 2-for-3.
- The Hounds are back in action on Sunday, March 6th at Noon as the team concludes its three-game series with Florida Tech.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the baseball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.