- Score: Mansfield 5, Assumption 1 (Game One); Mansfield 9, Assumption 8 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (0-2) Mansfield (4-1)
- Location: Cary, N.C. (USA Baseball Complex)
- The Lead: In the season-opening doubleheader, the Assumption College baseball team dropped a pair of non-conference games to Mansfield University on Saturday afternoon by final scores of 5-1 and 9-8. The games took place at the USA Baseball Complex in Cary, North Carolina.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In game one, the Hounds dropped the 5-1 final despite jumping out to an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first. After senior Tom Paine (Upton, Mass./Nipmuc Regional) reached on a one-out walk, Paine scored on a two-out double to left center from sophomore Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass./Boston College) for the 1-0 edge. Mansfield took a 3-1 lead in the bottom of the frame, putting together three hits and taking advantage of one Assumption error.
- In the fourth, the Mountaineers picked up the final two runs of the game behind the second RBI hit of the opener from Matt Kurelja. Kurelja's RBI single to center scored Scott Rockwell as the Mountaineers took the 5-1 final in game one.
- Senior Steve Flynn (Worcester, Mass./St. Peter-Marian) went 3.2 innings for the Hounds in the loss to drop to 0-1 as he scattered five hits with five runs allowed and six walks. Senior Anthony Perry (Shrewsbury, Mass./Saint John's) was solid in relief as he went 2.1 innings of one-hit action with three strikeouts and no walks. Tommy Alexander went the distance for the Mountaineers, scattering four hits with one run allowed, two walks and four strikeouts.
- In the second, the Hounds jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in the top of the first behind a sacrifice fly from Jaehnig and a two-RBI double to left center from Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass./Saint John's). Assumption continued to lead 5-2 after three innings behind RBI hits from junior Mike Coggeshall (Shrewsbury, Mass./Shrewsbury) and freshman Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass./Xaverian) before the Mountaineers tied the game at 5-5 in the sixth.
- That tie was short-lived though as the Hounds seized an 8-5 edge heading into the bottom of the seventh. Extra-base RBI hits from freshman Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass./Bishop Feehan) and senior Colin Clancy (Chelmsford, Mass./Chelmsford) gave the Hounds the 7-5 lead, followed by an RBI sacrifice fly to center by McQuade for the 8-5 margin.
- In the bottom of the seventh, reliever Tom Brengel (Hicksville, N.Y./Holy Trinity) picked up two strikeouts and allowed one single to get within one out of the victory. The Mountaineers put together a rally though as Wes Custer launched a two-run homer to left to cut the lead to 8-7, followed by a two-RBI double to left by leadoff batter Taylor Hillson for the 9-8 final.
- Hounds starter Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass./Saint John's) was solid as he went five innings and allowed four runs (two earned) while surrendering five hits and issuing five walks. Brengel took the loss to drop to 0-1 overall. For the Mountaineers, Alec Covel picked up the win in 0.2 innings of relief to improve to 1-0 on the season. Starter Brandon Garrett lasted just 2.1 innings, giving up five runs on six hits with four walks as the Mountaineers used four pitchers in game two.
- The Hounds wrap up the opening weekend on Sunday, February 28th as Assumption takes on Mansfield in a doubleheader beginning at 10 a.m. in Cary, N.C.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the baseball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.