Worcester, Mass. (April 8) -- The Assumption College Department of Athletics held its Fourth Annual Academic Excellence Breakfast event on Friday morning at the Atrium in the Testa Science Center. At the annual gathering, the department recognized the top academic performer from each of the College's 24 intercollegiate athletic programs and honored the Department of Athletics "Faculty Member of the Year."
"This event is an opportunity for us to recognize the top academic performers that we have on each of our athletic teams," said Nick Smith, director of athletics. "At Assumption, we challenge our student-athletes to achieve excellence in academics, athletically and on the community and this is the chance to honor those who perform at the highest level in the classroom."
In addition to the 20 student-athletes that were recognized, professor Mark Stewart (pictured at right with Nick Smith) was named as the 2016 Department of Athletics "Faculty Member of the Year" as Assumption Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) president Lauren McCarthy presented the award. Stewart is a professor in the human services and rehabilitation studies department.
The other finalists for the Faculty Member of the Year Award included professor Cary LeBlanc (marketing/management), professor Libby O'Hara (sport management), professor Demetri Kantarelis (economics), professor Alison Cares (sociology/criminology), professor Joseph Alfano (mathematics) and professor Laura Blake (management/marketing).
Complete Listing of Student-Athletes
Recipient (Sport) - Major
Brad Anderson (Ice Hockey) - Undeclared
Rachel Avard (Women's Track & XC) - Chemistry
Tim Carroll (Men's Golf) - Economics
Maria Chrisom (Volleyball) - Undeclared
Annah Coddington (Rowing) - English
Kelly Conley (Women's Basketball) - Biology
Erin Dougherty (Swimming & Diving) - Graphic Design
Allison Fillebrown (Women's Golf) - English
Steve Flynn (Baseball) - Criminology
Lyndsey Gabrielan (Field Hockey) - Org. Communication
Marissa Gifford (Softball) - Chemistry
Emily Hill (Women's Soccer) - Biology
Michael Hoye (Men's Track & XC) - Philosophy
Nemanja Kaurin (Men's Soccer) - Chemistry
Aubrey Lovejoy (Women's Tennis) - Graphic Design
Dan Matisoff (Men's Lacrosse) - Org. Communication
Tori Russo (Women's Lacrosse) - Human Services and Rehab Studies
Jed Scott (Football) - Economics
Jack Sullivan (Men's Basketball) - Biotechnology and Molecular Biology
Chris Waung (Men's Tennis) - Accounting)
Each student-athlete honored as able to bring one of their professors to the event as an opportunity to recognize all of the hard work put forward by the faculty with the student-athletes.
Attending this year's event were the following faculty members: Alison Cares (sociology/criminology), Elizabeth Colby Davie (chemistry), Stuart Cromarty (biology), Mary DiDomenico (english), Joseph Foley (accounting), Robin Frkal (management), Scott Glushien (graphic design), Kevin Hickey (natural sciences), Eric Howe (science education), Dona Kercher (Spanish & film), Benjamin Knurr (natural sciences), Michele Lemons (biology), Marc LePain (theology), Jessica McCready (biology), Kevin Meek (english), Libby O'Hara (sport management), Leo Rodriguez (physics), Susan Scully-Hill (human services and rehab studies), Lynn Simmons (graphic design), Mark Stewart (human services and rehab studies) and Stacie Wentz (marketing).
2015-2016 Assumption College Academic Highlights
• Assumption College has again been recognized nationally for its outstanding academic performance as the Hounds are ranked eighth in Division II with an Academic Success Rate (ASR) of 94 percent, as announced by the NCAA. This ranks Assumption fourth in the 15-member Northeast-10 Conference.
• Nine Assumption student-athletes have been named to the 2015-2016 Northeast-10 Academic All-Conference teams for the fall and winter seasons, including Rachel Avard who has earned the award in cross country, indoor track and field and outdoor track and field.
• In the Fall 2015 semester, 15 of the College's 24 intercollegiate athletic teams posted a team GPA of a 3.0 or higher. In addition, the College's 550+ student-athletes had an overall GPA of over a 3.0.
• The women's swimming and diving team earned College Swimming Coaches Association of American (CSCAA) Scholar All-American honors for the 17th-straight semester with a cumulative GPA of over a 3.0.
• Five members of the Assumption College men's and women's cross country teams have been named to the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) Division II All-Academic Teams. • In the Fall 2015 semester, Assumption had 276 student-athletes named to the Northeast-10 Commissioner's Honor Roll for a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Of that group, four had a perfect 4.0 GPA and 99 student-athletes finished with a GPA of a 3.5 or higher.
• Since the inception of the Northeast-10 Conference Sport Excellence Award, eight Assumption student-athletes spanning six sports have earned this award. The Sport Excellence Awards are given to the top student-athlete in each league-sponsored sport in the Northeast-10.
• The men's and women's soccer programs were both awarded the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Team Academic Award for the 2014-2015 academic year. In order to be eligible for this award, a team must have posted a cumulative Team GPA or at least a 3.0 or higher.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.