- Score: Southern Connecticut 3, Assumption 1 (22-25, 25-18, 25-17, 25-21)
- Record:Assumption (3-11, 1-4 NE10), Southern Connecticut (13-4, 3-2 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: After Assumption won the first set 25-22, Southern Connecticut came back to win the final three sets to defeat the Hounds 3-1 on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption led Southern Connecticut the entire first set until the last five points when the Owls took a 22-21 lead. The Hounds answered with four straight points to take the set 25-22. Maria Chrisom (Dover, N.H. / Saint Thomas Aquinas) recorded an ace to secure the victory..
- In the second set, The Owls has a two point lead until the Hounds tied it 7-7 off an attack error by Kirsten Cowell. Shortly after, Southern Connecticut answered with three consecutive points to maintain the lead and eventually extended to take the set 25-18.
- Southern Connecticut took a quick lead early in the third set after scoring six points in a row for a 7-2 score. Waylin Walls Parker (Beecher, Ill. / Beecher) made a block later in the set to bring the Hounds within two,12-10. The Owls answered with a run of their own and took the third by a 24-17 margin.
- The fourth set was evenly matched through the first ten points. The Hounds took a 7-5 lead on two attack errors by Southern Connecticut. Later in the set a kill from Julia Goyette (Randolph, Mass./Ursuline Academy) extended the Hounds lead to 11-8. The Owls tied the set 14-14 on a block from Leanna Jadus, and throughout the next five points the match remained even. Southern Connecticut eventually went on a 4-0 run and ended the match 25-21 on a block from Nicole Hauser.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption hit .126 in the contest with 44 kills and 69 digs while Southern Connecticut had 54 kills, hit .184 and recorded 83 digs.
- Junior Kellie Smith (Richland, Mich. / Gull Lake) led the team in kills with 10, while Goyette hit .286 with nine kills. Chrisom totaled 22 digs and Kiki Romanik (San Rafael, Calif. / Sir Francis Drake) registered 37 assists. Senior Olivia Burke (Salem, N.H. / Salem) totaled six kills and five blocks while Parker registered six blocks and nine kills.
- Jadus hit .286 recording 18 kills and 24 digs while Alexandria Jurgens added 35 assists.
- On Saturday the Hounds will travel to Le Moyne to face the Dolphins in an NE10 Conference match at 11 am.