- Score: Assumption 3, Nyack 2 (15-25, 26-24, 21-25, 25-10, 11-15)
- Score: Saint Anselm 3, Assumption 2 (23-25, 25-13, 22-25, 25-20, 9-15)
- Record: Assumption (1-5), Nyack (0-7), Saint Anselm (2-3)
- Location: Manchester, N.H. (Stoutenburgh Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption overcame a 2-1 deficit in its opening match against Nyack to come all the way back for a 3-2 victory, before falling 3-2 to NE10 foe Saint Anselm in the nightcap.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Nyack and Assumption traded points early and were deadlocked at eight apiece. The Warriors responded with a run to grab a 17-11 advantage and then extended their lead to 23-14 before concluding with the 25-15 win.
- The Hounds jumped out to a 10-4 lead in the second set and then stretched the advantage to 18-11 on a kill by Julia Goyette (Randolph, Mass. / Ursuline Academy). However, Nyack came back and used a 5-0 run to earn set point, 24-22. Kills by Olivia Burke (Salem, N.H. / Salem) and Kellie Smith (Richland, Mich. / Gull Lake) tied it up, Kelly Dorandi (Plaistow, N.H. / Methuen) then hit and ace and one more point gave Assumption the 26-24 win.
- In the third it went back and forth through the set's first 30 points, with a kill by Smith () give the Hounds a one point lead, 16-15. Five straight from the Warriors turned the set around and they finished it off for the 25-21 win.
- Assumption scored the first six points of the fourth and Waylin Walls Parker (Beecher, Ill. / Beecher) extended it to 12-2. The Hounds kept up the hot hitting and Nyack never closed within ten the rest of the way as they earned the 25-10 win to force a fifth set.
- In the final set, Assumption opened up a 6-1 lead. The Warriors rallied to pull back within one, 8-7, but Walls Parker ended the run and the Hounds went on a 6-2 lead to pull in front 14-9. They earned the win two points later.
- Assumption and Saint Anselm went back-and-forth to open the first set, before the Hounds opened up a three point lead at 10-7. Smith recorded three kills as they maintained a three point lead (22-19), but the Hawks went on a 6-1 run to take the first set at 25-23.
- The Hounds came out on fire in the second set as they took an early 4-1 lead, with three different players registering a kill. After two attacking errors on Saint Anselm gave Assumption its largest lead of the set (11-6), two kills by Goyette put the Hounds in a commanding 17-10 lead. The team closed out the set on an 8-3 run (25-13) to tie the match at one set apiece.
- A kill by Smith with an assist by Romanik started the third set, with Goyette and Kiki Romanik (San Rafael, Calif. / Sir Francis Drake) hooking up for two straight points to give the Hounds a 4-2 lead. Both teams exchanged points before the Hawks started pulling away. Down 14-9, Assumption rallied to pull within one (18-17), but Saint Anselm tallied four straight points to build an insurmountable lead, eventually taking the set, 25-22.
- Assumption won the fourth set (25-20) to force a fifth and final set, Recording 16 kills to Saint Anselm's 14, while registering a .286 kill percentage. In the fifth set, the Hounds went up 4-2 with Smith and Goyette combining for three kills. The Hawks took over from there, outscoring the Hounds 13-5 to win the set and the match, at 15-9.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Smith led the team with 14 digs and 13 kills, while Goyette was also in double figured with 13 and Burke added ten. Romanik dished off a season-high 40 assists with 16 digs. Defensively, the team totaled 101 digs, with Maria Chrisom (Dover, N.H. / Saint Thomas Aquinas) recording a team-high 21. Arian Orcera (Guaynabo, Puerto Rico / Colegio Marista) added 15 digs.
- In the nightcap, Smith led the team with 21 kills and 13 digs while Goyette added 14 kills and seven total blocks. Burke hit .458 with 12 kills while Romanik added 45 assists and 12 digs. Chrisom paced the defense with 24 digs while Walls Parker had five blocks.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the team faces off against Bentley at 10 am and Edinboro at 4:45 pm at Saint Anselm.