Albany, N.Y. (October 12) -- Freshman Hannah Riley (Ellington, Conn. / Ellington) led the Greyhounds with two points as the Assumption College women's tennis team defeated The College of Saint Rose by an 8-1 final on Saturday afternoon.
Riley earned her first point in number one doubles as she paired with Cassy Waung (Bolton, Conn. / East Catholic) for an 8-4 victory. She followed that up with a dominating 6-0, 6-1 win at number one singles to lead the Greyhounds at the top of the lineup.
Waung also earned a second point in the match, winning her match at number four singles by a 6-1, 6-2 final as the Greyhounds swept singles action. Paige Gilet (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) earned a point at number three singles with a 6-0, 6-3 win and Meg Hall (Pembroke, Mass. / Notre Dame) shut down Ashley Cunningham with a 6-0, 6-0 victory at number five singles. Paige Palmero (Trumbull, Conn. / Lauralton Hall) completed the sweep with a 6-1, 6-0 win at number six singles.
The Greyhounds improve to 1-4 on the season with the win and improve their Northeast-10 Conference record to 1-2 while Saint Rose falls to 0-6 overall and is now 0-4 in the league.
Assumption has concluded its fall schedule and will return to action in the spring.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
1. Hannah Riley (ASM) def. Paige Southwick (STR) 6-0, 6-1
2. Kristen Carbone (ASM) def. Gabriella Pizzanelli (STR) 6-2, 6-2
3. Paige Gilet (ASM) def. Maggie Moran (STR) 6-0, 6-3
4. Cassy Waung (ASM) def. Megan Stacklum (STR) 6-1, 6-2
5. Meg Hall (ASM) def. Ashley Cunningham (STR) 6-0, 6-0
6. Paige Palmero (ASM) def. Taylor White (STR) 6-1, 6-0
1. Hannah Riley/Cassy Waung (ASM) def. Paige Southwick/Gabriella Pizzanelli (STR) 8-4
2. Kristen Carbone/Paige Gilet (ASM) def. Alyssa Haddad/Megan Stacklum (STR) 8-2