Rindge, N.H. (April 4) -- The Assumption College women's tennis team swept singles action on the way to an 8-1 victory over Franklin Pierce University on Thursday afternoon.
The Greyhounds carried a 2-1 lead after doubles play as the team of Erica Micciche (Framingham, Mass. / Framingham) and Cassy Waung (Bolton, Mass. / East Catholic) earned an 8-5 win at number one doubles while Meg Hall (Pembroke, Mass. / Notre Dame) and Allison Gorman (East Providence, R.I. / East Providence) rolled to an 8-2 victory at number three doubles.
Holding a slim 2-1 lead after doubles, the Greyhounds swept singles play starting with Micciche, who earned a hard-fought 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-1) victory at number one singles. Paige Gilet (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) battled to a three-set victory after dropping the first set 2-6. She rallied to win the next two sets, 6-2, and 6-2 for a win at number two singles.
Waung kept the Greyhounds rolling with a 6-3, 6-1 victory at number three singles, while four and five singles each went to three sets. Hall took home a 5-7, 6-4, 10-4 victory and Melanie McCauley (Charlestown, R.I. / Chariho) won by a 1-6, 6-4, 10-5 final.
Gorman wrapped up the singles sweep with an 8-0 win in a pro set at number six singles.
The Greyhounds improve to 4-12 overall, including a 3-6 mark in Northeast-10 Conference play, while Franklin Pierce falls to 2-6 overall and 2-6 in league play.
Assumption will return to action on Saturday, April 6th at the University of New Haven. The match will begin at noon on Saturday.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
1. Micciche (ASM) def. Natasha McCarthy (FPU) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-1)
2. Gilet (ASM) def. Kirby Melbourne (FPU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Waung (ASM) def. Emily Parrett (FPU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Hall (ASM) def. Leslie Rodgers (FPU) 5-7, 6-4, 10-4
5. McCauley (ASM) def. Melissa Cohen (FPU) 1-6, 6-4, 10-5
6. Gorman (ASM) def. Christine Boulanger (FPU) 8-0
1. Micciche / Waung (ASM) def. Natasha McCarthy/Emily Parrett (FPU) 8-5
2. Kirby Melbourne/Leslie Rodgers (FPU) def. Gilet / McCauley (ASM) 8-4
3. Hall / Gorman (ASM) def. Melissa Cohen/Christine Boulanger (FPU) 8-2