Worcester, Mass. (April 3) -- The Assumption College women's tennis team dropped an 8-1 final to Merrimack College at the Assumption College tennis courts on Wednesday.
Sophomore Melanie McCauley (Charlestown, R.I. / Chariho High School) earned the lone point for the Greyhounds with a hard-fought victory at number five singles. The sophomore won the first set, 7-5, before she dropped the second set by a 6-4 final, leaving the match to be determined by a third set tie-break to 10 points. McCauley won the tie-break by a 10-5 final to earn the point.
Teammate Cassy Waung (Bolton, Mass. / East Catholic) was not as lucky in her singles match as she dropped a tough three-set match at number three singles. Waung dropped the first set 6-1 before bouncing back to earn a 6-2 victory and force the tie-break. The freshman came up short with a 10-7 final in the third-set tie-break.
The Greyhounds fall to 3-12 on the season including a 2-6 mark in Northeast-10 Conference play while Merrimack improves to 4-8 on the season and 4-2 in league play.
Assumption will be back in action on Thursday, April 4th against Franklin Pierce University. The match will begin at 3:30 p.m. in Rindge, N.H.
1. Kara Hole (MER) def. Erica Micciche (ASM) 6-1, 6-2
2. Rachel Muller (MER) def. Paige Gilet (ASM) 6-4, 6-0
3. Alyx Barnes (MER) def. Waung (ASM) 1-6, 6-2, 10-7
4. Mollie Fitzgerald (MER) def. Meg Hall (ASM) 6-4, 6-4
5. McCauley (ASM) def. Katie Veasey (MER) 7-5, 4-6, 10-5
6. Tiane Dame (MER) def. Allison Gorman (ASM) 6-1, 6-1
1. Shakee Messina / Barnes (MER) def. Micciche / Waung (ASM) 8-4
2. Hole / Fitzgerald (MER) def. Hall / Gilet (ASM) 8-2
3. Veasey / Muller (MER) def. McCauley / Gorman (ASM) 8-1