- Score: No. 1 Adelphi 23, No. 25 Assumption 10
- Records: Adelphi (17-1), Assumption (9-8)
- Location: Garden City, N.Y. (Motamed Field)
- The Lead: No. 25 Assumption led top-ranked Adelphi 6-4 with 13 minutes left in first half, but the Panthers came back to grab a one-goal lead at the half and took control over the final 30 minutes for a 23-10 victory in the NE10 Quarterfinals on Wednesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Marran Oakman (Kennebunk, Maine / Kennebunk) won the opening draw for Assumption and Meghan Cushing (Gorham, Maine / Gorham) found Caitlin Graves (Ashland, Mass. / Ashland) for a 1-0 lead just 36 seconds into the contest. Sarah Reilly (Fairfield, Conn. / Fairfield-Warde) made it 2-0 in favor of the Hounds just over a minute later. Adelphi finally got on the board at 25:00 and tied the contest up 46 seconds later. Graves answered back for a 3-2 lead and Allison Foley (Walpole, Mass. / Walpole) made it 4-2 at 19:46.
- The Panthers answered with a pair of goals over the next three minutes to even the score up once again. Kailyn Hart (Cohoes, N.Y. / Shaker) pushed the Assumption lead to 5-4 midway through the half. Three minutes later, Graves forced a turnover and whipped an underhand shot into the net to go up 6-4 with 13:24 left. Adelphi came back with three straight goals over the next seven minutes to take a 7-6 lead. The team's traded goals over the last five minutes as the Hounds trailed 9-8 at the break.
- Adelphi scored first in the final half, but Reilly tallied a free position goal at 27:57 to close the gap to one again. The Panthers exploded for four goals over the next three minutes to grab a 14-9 advantage. They added five more goals for a 19-9 lead before Hart ended the run on a feed from Reilly with 10:35 left. Adelphi tallied three goals to secure the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption was outshot 40-20 in the contest, but only 18-11 in the opening half. The Hounds did pick up more ground balls (14-10) while the Panthers won more draws (21-14).
- Reilly finished off a record-breaking year for the Hounds with four points. She set a new program record for single-season points with 88 while finishing second in a single season in both goals (63) and assists (26). Reilly now has 174 career points, good for third all-time. Graves added three goals and one assist to finish her career with 137 points (94g, 43a), which is fifth in program history.
- Defensively, Grace McDermott (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) had two ground balls and two caused turnovers while Oakman finished with three draw controls, two caused turnovers and two ground balls. Kyra Goucher (Derry, N.H. / Pinkerton Academy) was solid in net, making 11 saves while allowing 23 goals. Hailey Peterson earned the win for Adelphi as she had nine saves with four goals allowed in the final 42:36.
- The senior class of Cushing, Graves, Erin Gildea (Boca Raton, Fla. / Pope John Paul II), Morgan Cushing (Gorham, Maine / Gorham), Alexis Pastore (Baldwinsville, N.Y. / Charles W. Baker), Tianna Habosian (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) and Gabriela Gorgoni (Fayetteville, N.Y. / Fayetteville-Manlius) leave Assumption tied for the most wins by any class in program history, with 34 victories.