- Score: Assumption 20, American International 11
- Record: Assumption (7-4, 4-4 NE10), American International (3-10, 0-9 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: No. 24 Assumption used a potent attack to grab a 13-4 lead at the half and junior Sarah Reilly (Fairfield, Conn. / Fairfield-Warde) scored her 100th career goal as the Hounds took down American International 20-11 on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-Assumption came out strong quickly as Kailyn Hart (Cohoes, N.Y. / Shaker) contributed to the first three points of the game. She started off by scoring the first goal of the game, within the first minute, to later go on and assist Reilly on her goal. Hart went on to finish the run by scoring herself. American International kept it interesting by scoring three out of four goals, giving the Hounds a 4-3 lead with 20:29 left in the first half. Assumption turned it up a notch as they scored eight consecutive goals, four of which came from Reilly.
- With 38 seconds left in the first half, Reilly scored her 100th career goal, making her the sixth player in Assumption history to complete the feat. After a Yellow Jacket goal with 13 seconds left, Callie Dwyer (Merrimack, N.H. / Merrimack) took the ensuing draw and charged to the net, drawing and making a free position shot with three seconds remaining for a 13-4 advantage at the break.
- The second half was a back-and-forth battle as the Yellow Jackets and Hounds traded goals, but before Reilly and Jenny Bush (Kennebunk, Maine / Kennebunk) scored consecutively for an 18-8 lead with 17:26 left. The teams traded goals over the final 17 minutes, as Assumption got goals from Allison Foley (Walpole, Mass. / Walpole) and Emily Spath (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) to secure the nine-goal victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot AIC (41-29), while picking up more ground balls (27-16) and five more draw controls (19-14). The Hounds also had 12 caused turnovers.
- Reilly and Hart had big days for the Greyhounds, as Reilly netted eight points (6G, 2A), and Hart was right behind her with seven points (4G, 3A). Hart also contributed with three ground balls, while Meghan Cushing (Gorham, Maine / Gorham) picked up five ground balls with six draws and three casued turnovers.
- In net, Kyra Goucher (Derry, N.H. / Pinkerton Academy) took the win as she made 10 saves in 60 minutes of play while allowing 11 goals. Erin Gildea (Boca Raton, Fla. / Pope John Paul II) and Callie Dwyer (Merrimack, N.H. / Merrimack) led the defense as Gildea had four ground balls, while Dwyer padded the stat sheet with three ground balls, four draw controls and three caused turnovers.
- Reilly's six goals on the day gave her 101 for her career, tying her for fifth on the program's all-time goal list. The team established a new program single-season record with 294 points, surpassing the previous record of 273. Assumption also set a single season program-record with 95 assists, breaking the old record of 85.
- Chelsea Davis took the loss as she allowed 20 goals but made 15 saves. Devin Coulter led the offense with three goals while Jessica Fontana had two goals and two assists.
- The Hounds return to action on Saturday when they travel to play Saint Anselm at 2 pm.