- Score: Assumption 79, Southern N.H. 61
- Records: Assumption 10-16, 7-14 NE10), Southern N.H. (16-11, 12-9 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption used a strong start to grab a 10-point halftime advantage and outscored Southern New Hampshire by 11 in the final ten minutes behind some clutch play from its seniors on the way to a dominant 79-61 victory Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- SNHU opened the game on a 7-3 run, before a layup from Teneya McLaughlin (Milford, Conn. / Joseph A. Foran) and a triple from Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) gave the Hounds an 8-7 lead four minutes into the period. Trailing 12-10, Assumption went on an 11-0 run, capped off by a Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) three, and eventually led 21-14 after the first.
- The Penmen scored six of the first eight points of the period and eventually closed the gap to just 25-23 three minutes into the second. Reen made a pair of free throws to end the run and it started an 8-0 spurt to give Assumption a 33-23 advantage with 3:39 left in the period. SNHU trimmed it to just 33-27 with 2:48 left, but the Hounds answered with an 8-4 run to go into the break leading 41-31.
- In the third, the Penmen cut the deficit to three points in just over four minutes, though a pair of Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) free throws ended the run. The teams went back and forth over the next four minutes, before four straight points by O'Donnell to end the third gave the Hounds a 53-46 advantage.
- Assumption dominated the fourth period creating turnovers and getting the ball in the paint as they scored 18 points in the paint in the final quarter of play. The Penmen got as close as ten with 5:18, but a clutch three from Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) brought it back to 13 and the Hounds outscored them by nine the rest of the way for the 19-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds shot 52.8 percent in the contest, including 7 of 15 from downtown. The Penmen made just 40.4 percent of their attempts and were 3 of 13 from beyond the arc. Assumption also held a 35-25 edge on the boards while dishing off 19 assists with eight blocks.
- Assumption had three double digit scorers in the contest with O'Donnell leading the charge with 23 points and six rebounds. Reen added 12 points and five assists for the Hounds, while McKanna was 3-for-3 beyond the arc adding 11 points.
- McLaughlin finished her career with seven points, six assists and two steals while Kiera O'Donnell (Cheshire, Conn. / Holy Cross) chipped in five points, five rebounds and two steals. O'Brien supplied nine points, five rebounds and pair of assists in her final contest. She finished her career seventh all-time in both threes (141) and three-point percentage (35.1%).
- Southern New Hampshire had two double digit scorers. Catherine Stinson led the Penmen with 15 points, while Sarah Deyo added 10 points and three rebounds. The Penmen shot 40.4 percent from the field against the Greyhounds.