- Score:Assumption 64, Saint Michael's 53
- Records: Assumption (8-15, 5-13 NE10), Saint Michael's (8-15 ,5-13 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption led Saint Michael's 20-19 at the half and the Purple Knights did not have an answer for Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) over the final 20 minutes as she posted a career-high 24-points to lift the Hounds over Saint Michael's 64-53 in a conference battle on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Saint Michael's took an early 7-3 lead over Assumption in the first five minutes of the game. The Hounds tied things up at nine points apiece as Donnell knocks down a pair of free throws with two minutes left in the first quarter. On the following possession Teneya McLaughlin (Milford, Conn. / Joseph A. Foran) found Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) by herself to lay it in to give the Hounds a 11-9 lead over the Purple Knights as the first quarter came to a close.
- Both teams exchanged baskets through the first seven minutes of the second quarter. With two minutes left in the half, O'Donnell knocked down shots from the charity stripe to give the Hounds a 20-16 lead. They continued to play relentless defense as they closed out the half, allowing just a single point to trim the Assumption lead to one, 20-19, at the half.
- The Hounds came out firing in the third quarter as they continued to move the ball and find the open teammate under the rim. The Purple Knights answered back as they went on a run of their own to take a 30-27 lead with 5:19 left in the third. Saint Michael's run was ended on a triple from Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) to tie the score, 30-30 with three minutes left in the third. Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H. / Bishop Guertin) went 2-for-2 to end the third quarter giving the Hounds the lead 36-33.
- The Purple Knights hit a three to open the fourth, shortening the Assumption lead to two. The following possession, O'Brien answered back with a three of her own to give the Hounds a five-point lead with seven minutes left to play in the game. Neither team could gain an edge over the next four minutes and Assumption led 52-45 with 3:30 left in the game. The Hound defense came alive in the last minutes of the game, as they forced turnovers and converted the turnovers into points to extend their lead, 58-49, with a minute left in regulation. They also hit their free throws down the stretch to come away with the 11-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 44.7 percent from the floor and was 19-for-22 from the charity stripe. Saint Michael's, meanwhile, made 36.1 percent of its shots, while going 4-for-6 from the free throw line. The Hounds outrebounded the Purple Knights 37-30 while blocking five shots.
-Three Assumption players scored double-digits as O'Donnell dominated with 24 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 assists. O'Brien added 14 points and seven rebounds, while Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) scored 11 points going 4-for-4 from the charity stripe to put the Purple Knights away late.
- Saint Michael's had in double figures, as Samantha Delaney posted 15 points and eight rebounds, while Emily Ferreri chipped in 13 points and three assists for the Purple Knights.
- The Hounds will travel to Franklin Pierce to take on the Ravens on Wednesday Feb. 14, with a 5:30pm tip-off.