- Score: Saint Anselm 60, Assumption 56
- Records: Assumption (7-15, 4-13 NE10), Saint Anselm (15-9, 11-6 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption led Saint Anselm 25-20 at the half, but the Hawks clawed their way back to take the lead in the final two minutes of regulation and held off a late Hound rally to earn 60-56 road victory on tuesday in conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Saint Anselm took an early 7-2 lead in the first five minutes of play. Both teams struggled to score early, until Meghan Cramb ( New Boston, N.H. / Bishop Guertin) knocked down a triple for the Hounds to tie the game at 7-7 with a minute left in the first quarter. The Hawks led the Greyhounds 9-7 at the end of the first quarter.
-To start the second quarter, both teams exchanged baskets as the score was tied until Kiera O'Donnell (Cheshire, Conn. / Holy Cross) laid it in to give the Hounds their first lead of the game, 15-13, with 5:46 left in the first half. Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) knocked down a triple to give the Hounds life as they continued to capitalize on the mistakes of Saint Anselm, converting turnovers into points to give them a 20-18 lead with three minutes left in the second quarter. As the first half came to a close the Assumption Greyhounds led the Hawks 25-20.
- Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) scored two quick baskets in the first minute of the third to extend the Hounds lead to seven. Kiera O'Donnell ignited the Hound offense in the third quarter, converting a pair of baskets to give the Hounds the 40-28 advantage with 4:35 left. Saint Anselm closed the gap after converting on the pick-and-roll to end the third quarter trailing 50-41.
- The Hawks went on a 7-2 run in the first five minutes of the fourth, cutting their deficit within four. Both teams traded buckets and the Hawks trimmed the Assumption lead to just one with a three pointer from Clairee Putnam making it 56-55 with 1:43 left in the game. Assumption was unable to take the lead on its next possession and was eventually forced to foul. The Hawks made 58-56 with 24 seconds left in the game and a last second shot was short by the Hounds as Saint Anselm earned the four-point win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 37.7 percent from the floor and was 14-for-18 from the charity stripe. Saint Anselm, meanwhile, made 43.4 percent of its shots, while going 11-for-15 from the free throw line. The Hawks finished with a 35-34 rebounding edge despite their 15 turnovers to Assumption's 17 turnovers.
-Two Assumption players scored double digits as Kiera O'Donnell led the charge with 14 points, 10 rebounds, and two assists. Morgan O'Donnell finished with 10 points with six rebounds and four assists for the Greyhounds. Jordan Hawkins (Glen Burnie, Md. / Glen Burnie) and Cramb added nine points apiece for the Greyhounds.
- Saint Anselm had three double digit scorers in the contest. Shannon Ryan and Peyton Steinman added 19 points apiece while Ryan added 12 rebounds and Steinman had six boards. Putman added 12 points and four assists as the Hawks edged the Greyhound in conference play.
- The Hounds return to action on Saturday, Feb. 10 when they host Saint Michael's at 1:30 pm in Laska Gymnasium.
- For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.