- Score: Bentley 86, Assumption 70
- Records: Bentley (20-2, 14-2 NE10), Assumption (7-14, 4-12 NE10)
- Location: Waltham, Mass. (Dana Center)
- The Lead: Assumption led No. 3 Bentley 39-37 at the half, but the Falcons poured in 31 points during the third quarter to take the lead for good on their way to an 83-68 victory Saturday afternoon in conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Bentley took a 10-5 lead through the game's opening five minutes and pushed it to 16-6 on a three-point play with 3:39 left in the period. Jordan Hawkins (Glen Burnie, Md. / Glen Burnie) ended the run with a layup as Assumption ended the period on a 9-4 run to trail just 20-15 through the first quarter.
- Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) led off the second with a triple and Kiera O'Donnell (Cheshire, Conn. / Holy Cross) gave the Hounds the lead, 23-22, on a three with 7:47 remaining. Assumption scored six of the next nine points to stretch its lead to 29-25 at 6:44. The Falcons answered with a run and eventually tied the game 30-30. The two teams traded baskets the rest of the period, with a Hawkins layup in the final seconds providing a 39-37 edge at the half.
- Bentley scored the first six points of the third to take a four-point lead and pushed its lead to 56-43 at 4:17 with another run. Assumption did close the gap to 11 on a Hawkins layup with 1:08 left, but a 5-2 run to end the quarter by the Falcons provided a 58-54 advantage through 30 minutes.
- The Hounds tried to close the gap in the final period but Bentley still managed to extend it to 74-58 at 6:27. Assumption trimmed the deficit as low as 11 points in the final four minutes but the Falcons finished with the 16-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 42.6 percent from the floor and was 8-for-22 from downtown. Bentley, meanwhile, made 50.0 percent of its shots, including a 10 or 21 performance from downtown and 20-for-24 effort from the charity stripe. The Falcons finished with a 34-30 rebounding edge.
- Five players scored in double figures, led by O'Donnell with 14 points, five rebounds and two assists. Hawkins added 12 points and six boards off the bench while Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) chipped in 12 points, five rebounds and four assists. Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) finished with 10 points, three assists and two rebounds.
- Becca Musgrove led Bentley with 19 points and four rebounds while Victoria Lux supplied 17 points, six rebounds and three assists. Megan Lewis had 11 points off the bench.
- The Hounds return to action on Tuesday when they host Saint Anselm in their Play4Kay game at 5:30 pm.