- Score: Merrimack 57, Assumption 53
- Records: Merrimack (12-8, 8-7 NE10), Assumption (7-13, 4-11 NE10)
- Location: North Andover, Mass. (Hammel Court)
- The Lead: Assumption let a one-point halftime lead slip away and Merrimack withstood a large charge by the Hounds in the final minutes to come away with a 57-53 win in conference action on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Merrimack opened the contest with a 9-5 lead at 6:52, before a run by Assumption drew the game even at 9-9 and then 1-1 on a Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) jumper with 4:57 left. The teams traded baskets over the final four minutes as the Warriors took a 19-16 lead going into the second.
- Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) tied the game at 19 apiece with a triple 45 seconds into the quarter as part of a 7-0 run to pull in front 23-19. Back-to-back O'Donnell baskets pushed the lead to 27-21 with 4:15 remaining, though an 8-2 run by Merrimack tied the game 29-29 with 49 seconds left. An O'Donnell free throw provided a slight 30-29 edge at the half.
- A 10-4 run by the Warriors over the first five minutes of the period stretched their lead to 39-34. The Hounds pulled within one, 39-38, with 3:18 remaining, before Merrimack scored six straight to extend its lead to seven points. O'Donnell had the final four points of the third to leave Assumption down 45-42.
- In the fourth, the Warriors pushed the score to 49-42, however, a 7-2 Hound run made it 51-49 with 4:16 remaining. Merrimack responded with two points 30 seconds later and Assumption missed its next four shots. The Warriors eventually extended it to 54-49 with 21 seconds left and hit their free throws in the last 25 seconds to secure the four-point win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 41.2 percent for the contest but was only 4 of 14 from downtown and 7-for-14 from the free throw line. Merrimack missed all 11 of its three-point attempts but still shot 46.9 overall and 11 of 13 from the charity stripe. The Warriors held a 32-27 rebounding edge.
- O'Donnell paced the team with 22 points, six rebounds and two assists while Kiera O'Donnell (Cheshire, Conn. / Holy Cross) was the only other player in double figures with 13 points, seven boards and four assists. Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) was limited to just two points but had five assists and one steal.
- Alyssa Carey led Merrimack with 18 points, nine rebounds and three steals while Lindsay Werner posted 16 points, two boards and two assists.
- The Hounds return to action on Saturday when they travel to play Bentley at 1:30 pm.