- Score: Southern Conn. 75, Assumption 68
- Record: Southern Conn. (14-7, 8-5 NE10), Assumption (7-11, 4-9 NE10)
- Location: New Haven, Conn. (Moore Field House)
- The Lead: Assumption led by as many as 12 points in the third quarter, but host Southern Connecticut State outscored the Hounds 28-12 in the fourth quarter to come away with a 75-68 victory Tuesday evening in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption scored the first seven points of the contest and shut out the Owls for nearly the first four minutes. However, Southern Conn. went on a 7-2 run to tie the game at nine apiece with 1:43 left in the period. Teneya McLaughlin (Milford, Conn. / Joseph A. Foran) gave her team back the lead with the final four points of the quarter.
- The Hounds stretched their lead to 21-14 just two minutes into the second on a three-point play from Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy). The Owls pulled back within four, before an Assumption run, which featured three Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) triples extended the lead to 32-21 with 3:19 left. SCSU did finish the half on a 10-2 run to trail 34-31 at the break.
- In the third the teams traded points, before four straight from the Owls cut it to just 41-39 at 6:15. O'Donnell responded with consecutive layups for a six-point edge. Over the next five minutes the Hounds stretched their advantage to 54-42 and took a 56-47 lead going into the fourth.
- Seven straight by SCSU trimmed the Assumption lead to just 56-55, forcing a timeout. The team's went back-and-forth over the next five minutes, before an O'Brien jumper gave the Hounds a 66-62 lead with 3:49 left. The Owls responded with eight straight points for a 70-66 advantage, though McLaughlin was able to cut it to two points with 35 seconds remaining. The Hounds were forced to foul and SCSU made its free throws for the –point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption finished the game shooting 47.9 percent overall and 7-for-17 from beyond the arc, while making all 15 of its free throw attempts. SCSU shot 54.3 percent and was 10 of 17 from downtown while forcing 21 turnovers. The Hounds did have a 28-23 rebounding edge.
- O'Donnell tied her career high with 23 points on 9-for-12 shooting. She added four rebounds and two steals. O'Brien was also in double figures with 13 points and three assists while McLaughlin had 11 points and two assists. Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) chipped in seven rebounds and seven points.
- Abby Hulbert led her team with 30 points, while Africa Williams had 20, six rebounds and four assists. Kiana Steinhauer added 14 and eight boards.
- The Hounds return to action on Saturday when they host Le Moyne at 1:30 pm.