- Score: Saint Rose 76, Assumption 65
- Records: Saint Rose (9-9, 7-5 NE10), Assumption (7-10, 4-8 NE10)
- Location: Albany, N.Y. (Daniel P. Nolan Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption's four-game win streak came to a halt as Saint Rose outscored the Hounds by 11 points during the second and third quarters to come away with a 76-65 victory in conference action on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Saint Rose jumped out to a 10-5 lead in opening 4:36 of the contest. Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H. / Bishop Guertin) jumpstarted a 9-2 run and Teneya McLaughlin (Milford, Conn. / Joseph A. Foran) gave the Hounds a 14-12 lead with 3:24 left in the period. However, the Golden Knights scored the final four points of the period for a two-point lead after one.
- In the second the teams went back and forth over the first five minutes, with a three from Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) pulling Assumption within two, 22-20, at 5:45. Saint Rose answered with another run, outscoring the Hounds 9-2 the rest of the period to take a 31-22 lead into the break.
- The Hounds were unable to close the gap, as they trailed by 12 two minutes into the period. A 5-2 run by Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) trimmed the deficit to just 41-34 midway through the period, however, the Golden Knights were able to push it to double digits and led 55-42 entering the fourth.
- Assumption fell behind by 15 early in the fourth, before making one final run. Seven straight by the Hounds cut it to just 63-57 with 3:58 remaining on a Kiera O'Donnell (Cheshire, Conn. / Holy Cross) layup. A 5-0 spurt by Saint Rose extended the lead to double digits and Assumption couldn't get closer than eight points in the final three minutes.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption made 46.2 percent of its field goal attempts and 10 of 21 threes, however, Saint Rose shot a blistering 57.1 percent from the floor and was 5-for-11 from downtown. The Golden Knights also held a 35-18 rebounding edge.
- Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) and Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) each scored 14 points apiece. O'Brien also had three rebounds and two steals while O'Donnell provided five rebounds, six steals and two blocks despite turning it over seven times.
- K. O'Donnell was in double figures with ten points and four rebounds while Reen added 11 points and four assists. McLaughlin chipped in 11 points and four assists.
- Leah Dollard made 9 of 11 shots and finished with 20 points and four boards while Takora McIntyre supplied ten points, eight assists and six rebounds.
- The Hounds return to action on Tuesday when they travel to play Southern Connecticut St. at 5:30 pm.