-Score: Assumption 70, American Int'l 52
-Records: Assumption (7-9, 4-7 NE10), AIC (8-11, 2-9 NE10)
-Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
-The Lead: Assumption gave up just 14 first-half points to American International while building a 15-point edge and in the second half pushed its lead as high as 22 in the fourth as the Hounds won their fourth straight, 70-52, on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption started the game strong with a big three-pointer by Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) to put the Hounds in the lead. AIC closed it to 7-4 with 6:22 left, but the Hounds continued to pull away. Behind strong rebounding and shooting, Assumption went on a run to finish the first quarter with a 21-8 lead, capped off by a three-pointer at the buzzer by Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood).
- The Hounds only allowed the Yellow Jackets to score six points in the second quarter. AIC closed the gap to 26-12, but Reen once again finished off the scoring in the period to make it 29-14 and give her nine points at the break.
- In the third, the two teams combined for 37 points as Assumption allowed 18 points, but scored 19. The Hounds extended their lead to 19 points at 5:45 of the third and again on a Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) layup with 3:18 left. Two Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H. / Bishop Guertin) free throws capped off the quarter for a 48-32 lead.
- Assumption pushed its lead to 22 points two minutes into the fourth, however, the Yellow Jackets took advantage of the gaps in the Hounds defense to trim it to 65-52 with 5:16 left. The teams traded baskets before Back-to-back three-pointers by Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) and O'Brien put the game out of reach as they eventually won by 18.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 48.1 percent from the floor in the contest while making 7 of 19 three-point attempts and going 13-for-26 from the free throw line. AIC made just 35.2 of its attempts, including a 1 of 13 performance from beyond the arc. The Hounds had 16
- Four players scored in double figures, led by O'Donnell with 14, eight boards, four steals and three assists. Reen also had 14 to go with four rebounds. O'Brien added 13 points and six rebounds while Cramb came off the bench for a career-high 13 points, three boards and two steals.
- Dana Watts led AIC with 24 points, seven rebounds and three blocks. Alyssa Guyon was second on the team with eight points and five boards.
- The Hounds return to action on Saturday when they play at the College of Saint Rose at 1:30 pm.