- Score: Assumption 67, Pace 50
- Records: Assumption (6-9, 3-7 NE10), Pace (9-8, 6-4 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption trailed by a single point at the half but outscored Pace 27-10 in third to pull away from the Setters and came away with a third straight victory, 67-50 on Saturday afternoon in conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption jumped out to a 7-3 lead, before a 7-2 run by Pace gave the visitors a 10-9 advantage with 4:00 minutes remaining in the opening quarter. The Setters stretched their lead to 14-9, but Teneya McLaughlin (Milford, Conn. / Joseph A. Foran) hit a layup with 13 seconds left to cut the deficit to three after one period.
- The Hounds kept Pace off the scoreboard for nearly four minutes to start the second while scoring seven points to pull in front 18-14. The Setters tied it up at 18 apiece midway through the period and extended it to 21-18 at 3:47. The teams traded baskets over the final three minutes of the half as Pace took a 26-25 advantage into the break.
- Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) opened the third with a swish from beyond the arc and four more points from Assumption made it 32-26 two minutes into the period. Pace closed the gap to 35-32, but seven straight by the Hounds stretched the lead to ten. They pushed it to 16 after three on a triple from Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H. / Bishop Guertin) in the final seconds.
- Two minutes into the fourth, Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) extended the lead to 58-40 on a triple from the wing. Assumption pushed its advantage as high as 21 points in the final five minutes before finishing with the 17-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- After a slow start, Assumption finished the game shooting 48.0 percent overall and was 5 of 16 from beyond the arc. Pace made 46.3 percent of its attempts but was only 3-for-13 from downtown. The Hounds forced 22 turnovers and recorded 16 assists while owning a 31-24 rebounding edge.
- Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) led the team with 14 points, five rebounds and two assists while Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) came off the bench for 10 points, two steals and two assists. Reen scored a career-high ten points with three assists.
- Kristina Olikhver led Pace with 13 points while Jackie DelliSanti had 11 points with four rebounds and two assists.
- The Hounds return to action on Wednesday when they host AIC at 5:30 pm.