- Score: Assumption 72, St. Thomas Aquinas 60
- Records: Assumption (5-9), St. Thomas Aquinas (13-2)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption trailed No. 17 Saint Thomas Aquinas 17-3 late in the first quarter, but trimmed it to one at the half before storming all the way back with a dominant third quarter to take the lead for good and eventually capture an impressive 72-60 victory on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- St. Thomas Aquinas scored the first ten points of the game and kept Assumption off the board until Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) connected on a three with 5:53 left in the period. The Spartans stretched their lead as high as 17-3 at 2:36, however, the Hounds finished the period on a 9-2 run, capped off by a Teneya McLaughlin (Milford, Conn. / Joseph A. Foran) jumper in the final seconds to trail 19-9.
- Assumption kept the run going in the second with 11 straight points, punctuated by a Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) triple to give the Hounds a 20-19 lead. The Hounds extended their lead to 25-21 on two McLaughlin free throws at 4:14, though seven straight from St. Thomas Aquinas put them back on top 28-25. Jordan Hawkins (Glen Burnie, Md. / Glen Burnie) hit a layup with one second left to leave her team down just 28-27 at the half.
- McLaughlin led off the third with a three-point play which started a 9-0 run and put the Hounds in front 36-28. The Spartans answered, but another run by Assumption, capped off by a Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H. / Bishop Guertin) three, made it 48-37 at 2:53. The teams traded baskets and the Hounds held a nine-point lead going into the fourth.
- St. Thomas Aquinas trimmed the deficit to just 55-49 at 7:25, however, five straight Assumption points pushed the lead back to 11 with 6:44 remaining. The Spartans tried to close the gap but the Hounds answered each time, including a layup from Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) for a 65-53 advantage with just 2:10 remaining. Assumption went 4-for-5 from the free throw line in the final 1:31 to seal the 12-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption was an abysmal 3-of-17 from the floor in the opening quarter but shot 54 percent over the final three quarters to finish the game at 43.1 percent overall. The Hounds were also 11 of 21 from downtown and 11-for-13 from the charity stripe. They also had 20 assists on their 25 field goals.
- St. Thomas Aquinas shot 46.2 percent from the floor, but was 8 of 20 from deep and only 4-for-7 from the free throw line. The Spartans committed 25 turnovers, leading to 22 points for Assumption.
- O'Brien scored all 15 of her points from beyond the arc on five triples, to go with four rebounds and two steals. McLaughlin was also in double figures with 16 points, five rebounds and three steals while Hawkins added six points, four boards and two blocks off the bench.
- O'Donnell supplied 13 points, seven rebounds, two assists and two blocks while Reen set career highs with eight points and seven assists to go along with a steal. Cramb made three triples in 20 minutes off the bench for nine points.
- Adiya Henderson paced the Spartans with 18 points and six rebounds but had nine turnovers. Jenna Erickson added 11 points, nine rebounds and four steals.
- The Hounds return to action on Saturday as they look stretch their win streak to three when they host Pace at 1:30 pm.