- Score: Assumption 58, New Haven 44
- Records: New Haven (6-7, 2-6 NE10), Assumption (4-9, 2-7 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption put forth one of its most complete performances of the season, giving up just 15 first-half points and never letting its lead dip below nine in the final 20 minutes on the way to a 58-44 victory over New Haven on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- New Haven scored the opening basket, but the Assumption responded with the next seven and held the Chargers scoreless for five minutes. Leading 7-4, Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) pushed the lead to six on a triple at 4:12, and the home team finished the quarter with ten more points for an 18-4 advantage.
- The Hounds pushed their lead to 16 points early in the second, though a pair of New Haven free throws trimmed it to 24-10 at 6:24. Over the next five minutes, Assumption went on a 9-2 run, capped off by a Jordan Hawkins (Glen Burnie, Md. / Glen Burnie) layup for a 33-12 lead. Each team added one basket for a 35-15 Assumption advantage at the break.
- In the third, New Haven went on a run to close the gap to 15 points midway through the period. Kiera O'Donnell (Cheshire, Conn. / Holy Cross) connected on a triple to push the lead back to 18 at 4:46 and she followed with another layup to push it back to 20. The Chargers scored the final four points of the period to trail 45-29.
- New Haven kept the Assumption offense in check and made it an 11-point game on a three with 6:08 remaining. Three Hound free throws pushed it back to 14, before the Chargers closed it back to 11 at 2:54. A pair of free throws cut the deficit to just nine, but Assumption scored the final five points of the contest to finish with the 14-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 37.8 percent from the floor in the contest, including 7 of 15 from downtown, while limiting New Haven to just 28.1 percent shooting and a 4 of 16 performance from beyond the arc. The Hounds held a dominant 45-28 rebounding advantage.
- K. O'Donnell led the offense with 16 points, including three triples, and eight rebounds, while Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) grabbed a career-high 17 boards to go with eight points and a block. O'Brien was also in double figures with 12 points. Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) didn't score but had five assists and two steals off the bench.
- Alexandria Kerr paced the Chargers with 14 points, nine rebounds and two steals while Brie Pergola had ten points.
- Assumption returns to action on Wednesday when the team hosts Saint Thomas Aquinas at 5:30 pm in non-conference action.