- Score: Adelphi 50, Assumption 42
- Records: Adelphi (8-7, 4-3 NE10), Assumption (3-9, 1-7 NE10)
- Location: Garden City, N.Y. (CRS)
- The Lead: Assumption held a slight 31-29 lead through three quarters, but host Adelphi stormed back in the fourth quarter to pull away for a 50-42 victory on Wednesday evening in NE10 action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption took a 6-4 lead at 7:03 in the first on a Brittani LeBlanc (Townsend, Mass. / North Middlesex Regional) three, however, the Panthers responded with the next seven points to grab an 11-6 advantage. The Hounds managed just two more points in the period to trail 13-8 through the first.
- Adelphi kept Assumption scoreless over the opening five minutes of the second, stretching its lead to 22-8. Kiera O'Donnell (Cheshire, Conn. / Holy Cross) trimmed the deficit to 11, 22-11, at 4:08. She added one more basket while the Hound defense held the Panthers scoreless for a 22-13 margin at the half.
- In the third, Assumption's defense kept Adelphi off the board until the 5:39 mark, while scoring nine straight points to tie the game at 22 apiece. Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) gave the Hounds a 25-24 lead at 3:11 and the two squads traded baskets the rest of the period as Assumption led 31-29 going into the fourth.
- Just 2:19 into the fourth, the Panthers took back the lead 34-33. Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) put the Hounds in front 35-34 and then 37-36 with 6:18 remaining. Adelphi answered with seven consecutive points over the next four minutes to pull in front 43-37 and the lead never dipped lower than four on the way to the eight-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 25.8 percent from the floor and was 6 of 26 from downtown while Adelphi made 42.6 percent of its attempts despite going 1-for-10 from beyond the arc. The Hounds did force 22 turnovers but were outrebounded 41-38.
- O'Donnell led the offense with 17 points, nine rebounds and two assists while Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) was limited to three points but chipped in eight rebounds, four assists and four steals. Reen supplied a career-high seven points, four rebounds and two assists off the bench.
- Niajah Morgan paced the Panthers with 17 points, six rebounds and two blocks, while Natalie Fekula added six points, eight rebounds and four blocks.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the team hosts New Haven at 1:30 pm.