- Score: LIU Post 67, Assumption 64
- Records: LIU Post (8-5), Assumption (2-8)
- Location: Brookville, N.Y. (Pratt Rec Center)
- The Lead: Assumption led by eight points early in the fourth quarter, but host LIU Post outscored the Hounds by 11 points over the final eight minutes of action and a game-tying three by the Hounds was off the mark as time expired to give the Pioneers a 67-64 non-conference win on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption took an 8-7 lead through two minutes of action on a triple from Teneya McLaughlin (Milford, Conn. / Joseph A. Foran). The Hounds pulled in front 13-7, though LIU Post answered back to make it 13-10 at 6:05. A 10-5 run by the Hounds extended their lead to 23-15, however, the Pioneers scored the final four points to trail 23-19 after the first.
- LIU Post scored the first three points of the second before McLaughlin responded with a jumper at 8:00. Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) eventually extended the advantage to 30-24 at 5:25 with a shot from beyond the arc. The teams traded baskets over the final five minutes of action as Assumption took a 37-31 lead into the break.
- In the third, the Hounds led by four until O'Brien came through with a jump shot off a McLaughlin feed for a 41-35 advantage at 5:20. Three minutes later, Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H. / Bishop Guertin) pushed the lead to 44-37 and Assumption led 46-40 through three quarters.
- Two minutes into the fourth, O'Brien made it 50-42. However, LIU Post responded with the next 13 points over a nearly four-minute span to pull in front 55-50. Assumption closed the gap to one, but the Pioneers extended it to 62-58 in the final 40 seconds. McLaughlin hit a jumper to pull Assumption within two and then a triple to trim it to just 65-64 with only seven seconds left. However, LIU Post hit its free throws and a last second three from 30 feet by McLaughlin was off the mark as the Pioneers held on for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 39.7 percent from the floor but made 7 of 24 shots from downtown and was 11-for-17 from the free throw line. LIU Post, shot 38.9 percent overall and was 6 of 20 from downtown while recording 17 steals.
- The Hounds committed 20 turnovers in the contest, but did outrebound the Pioneers 42-34, including 13 offensive boards.
- Four players scored in double figures, led by double-doubles from senior Kiera O'Donnell (Cheshire, Conn. / Holy Cross) and junior Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy). The senior had 13 points and ten rebounds while the junior added 14 points 11 rebounds and three assists.
- McLaughlin provided 14 points, five assists and three rebounds while O'Brien supplied 13 points and four rebounds. Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) chipped in five points and five boards off the bench.
- Shannon Doyle led LIU Post with 14 points and four rebounds while Sasha Patterson had 13 points and eight boards.
- Assumption returns to action tomorrow, Sunday, when the team travels to play Molloy at 12 pm.