- Score: American International 63, Assumption 42
- Records: American International (7-7), Assumption (2-7)
- Location: Springfield, Mass.
- The Lead: Assumption's offense struggled in the opening half, but outscored American International by one point in the final 20 minutes as the team fell 63-42 on Tuesday in a non-conference matchup between the teams.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption trailed just 4-2 after four minutes of action, courtesy of a Kiera O'Donnell (Cheshire, Conn. / Holy Cross) layup. However, the Yellow Jackets finished the first quarter on a 14-2 run to take an 18-4 lead.
- In the second, AIC stretched its lead to 22-4 before Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) ended the scoring drought with 5:51 left. The Hounds cut the deficit to 15 in the final four minutes, but the Yellow Jackets concluded the period on a 9-2 run for a 34-12 lead at the break.
- Assumption opened the third on a 7-2 run to cut the deficit to 36-19 at 7:38. The teams traded baskets over the next four minutes and Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) managed to make it a 16-point contest with 3:23 left, though the team trailed 46-28 after three quarters.
Assumption closed the gap as low as 16 points on a Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) triple at 5:50. The Yellow Jackets answered back and outscored the Hounds 10-5 over the final five minutes to earn a 21-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot just 25.0 percent in the contest while making 4 of 21 three-point field goals. AIC made 46.0 percent of its shots, including 6 of 11 from beyond the arc. The Hounds did grab 16 offensive boards while being outrebounded slightly, 36-33.
- Morgan O'Donnell led the team with 14 points, eight rebounds, three steals and two blocks while Kiera O'Donnell added ten rebounds, eight points and two assists. O'Brien chipped in eight points, four assists, three rebounds and one steal.
- Alyssa Guyon paced the Yellow Jackets with 21 points and three assists while Dana Watts was in double figures with 17 points, six rebounds and two steals.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday, Dec. 30 when the team travels to play LIU Post at 1:30 pm.