- Score: Assumption 72, Franklin Pierce 52
- Records: Assumption (2-6, 1-6 NE10), Franklin Pierce (4-7, 1-6 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption jumped out to an eight-point lead after the first quarter and eventually extended their lead over 20 points early in the third quarter on the way to a 72-52 conference victory over Franklin Pierce on Thursday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) opened the scoring with a triple 48 seconds into the contest as Assumption held Franklin Pierce scoreless over the first five minutes of action while building a 13-0 lead. The Ravens closed the gap to eight, 15-7, and the teams traded points over the final two minutes as the Hounds led 19-11 after the first.
- Franklin Pierce started the second on a 6-2 run to cut the deficit to just 21-17 through two minutes. O'Brien answered with a shot from downtown at 7:15, though Ravens closed the deficit to five just 13 seconds later. Assumption countered with the next nine points to stretch its lead to 33-19 with 2:39 left. The Hounds kept up the hot shooting and pushed it to a 40-23 advantage at the break.
- Less than three minutes into the third, Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) scored on a layup to extend the Assumption lead to 47-26, and the team's traded baskets over the next five minutes. Back-to-back triples from O'Brien and Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) made it a 25-point game with 2:08 left in the quarter, before a late run cut the lead to 60-40.
- Franklin Pierce opened the fourth on a 5-2 run, but Assumption quickly bumped the lead back up to 21 on an O'Donnell layup at 7:06. The Ravens eventually closed the gap to 14, 66-52, with 3:43 remaining but the Hounds held them scoreless the rest of the way to earn the 20-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 45.8 percent from the floor and connected on 6 of 20 three-point attempts while owning a 38-29 rebounding edge. Franklin Pierce shot just 37.5 percent and was 3 of 11 from downtown while turning the ball over 21 times. The Hounds also dished out a season-high 19 assists.
- O'Donnell was 8-for-11 from the field for a career-high 23 points to go with five rebounds and two blocks. O'Brien supplied a season-high 17 points with five rebounds and four assists while Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass. / St. Mary's) added seven rebounds, four points, four assists and two steals.
- Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) and Cramb each chipped in seven points off the bench while Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H. / Bishop Guertin) also had five rebounds and three assists. Kiera O'Donnell (Cheshire, Conn. / Holy Cross) grabbed a team-high nine boards with four points.
- Mya Mosley led Franklin Pierce with 11 points, five assists and three steals. Jemma Thacker was also in double figures with 10 points.
- Assumption returns to action on Dec. 19 when the team travels to play American International in a non-conference matchup at 5:30 pm.