- Score: Stonehill 75, Assumption 51
- Records: Stonehill (6-1, 5-1 NE10), Assumption (1-6, 0-6 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption jumped out to a 12-7 lead after the first quarter of action, but Stonehill scored ten straight points in the opening two minutes of the second to take back the lead and the Skyhawks never looked back on their way to a 75-51 victory on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Both teams struggled with offense early, before four straight gave the Hounds a 6-5 lead at 6:49 on a Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) layup. Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J. / Washington Township) added a pair of free throws for a three-point lead with 3:56 left as Assumption kept Stonehill scoreless for nearly five minutes. The Skyhawks eventually ended the run, but the Hounds registered the final four points of the period for a 12-7 advantage.
- Stonehill scored ten points in the first two minutes of the second to grab a 17-12 lead, and they stretched the lead to 15 with ten more points before the Hounds finally ended the drought. Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) connected on a triple at 5:08 to leave them down 27-15. The teams traded baskets over the final five minutes, and a Teneya McLaughlin (Milford, Conn. / Joseph A. Foran) layup with six seconds left made it 35-25 at the half.
- The Skyhawks opened the third with seven straight points to extend their lead to 42-25 at 6:38. Assumption answered but was unable to get the deficit into single digits as Stonehill slowly stretched its lead to 20 before finishing with a 53-36 lead after three. The Hounds closed the gap to 14 early in the fourth, but a late run by the Skyhawks provided the 75-51 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 37.5 percent in the contest but was 3 of 14 from downtown. Stonehill made 37.9 percent of its shots, including 11 of 21 from beyond the arc. The Hounds did own a 38-33 rebounding edge, though they turned the ball over 24 times.
- O'Brien came through with ten points and four rebounds while O'Donnell added a double-double of ten points, ten rebounds and two blocks. Capacchione chipped in seven points on the bench while Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass. / St. Mary's) grabbed seven rebounds with two points.
- Kelly Martin led Stonehill with 22 points, five rebounds and four assists, while Samantha Hyslip was also in double figures with 12 points, five rebounds and two assists.
- Assumption returns to action on Thursday when the team hosts Franklin Pierce at 5:30 pm.