- Score: Queens (N.Y.) 69, Assumption 48
- Record: Assumption (19-9), Queens (25-4)
- Location: Garden City, N.Y. (CRS)
The Lead: Seventh-seeded Assumption jumped out to an early 10-5 lead midway through the first, but No. 2 seed Queens stormed back and extended its lead to eight by halftime before breaking the game open for a 69-48 victory in an NCAA First Round contest at Adelphi on Friday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Allison Stoddard (East Lyme, Conn. / East Lyme) tied the game at 5-5 in the opening two minutes and Kelly Carey (Long Beach, N.Y. / Holy Trinity) followed with a triple for an 8-5 advantage. Jaclyn Storey (Cumberland, Maine / Greely) then extended the lead to 10-5 at 5:41, but Queens responded with 11 consecutive points to take a 16-10 lead. Stoddard hit a layup in the final seconds for a 16-12 deficit after one.
- The Knights stretched their lead to 22-12 in the first 3:15 of the second. Kiera O'Donnell (Cheshire, Conn. / Holy Cross) quelled the run with a three from the wing and Carey added two free throws to pull within five, 22-17 at 3:41. Queens countered with seven straight for a 12 point lead, but Assumption finish the final 40 seconds on a 6-2 run, including a triple by Carey at the buzzer to trail 31-23 at the break.
- With 7:19 left in the third, a triple from Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) closed the gap to 38-29. However, the Knights responded with a 16-0 run to extend their lead to 54-29 with just two minutes remaining. Stoddard ended the run with a three but Queens still went into the fourth up 59-36.
- Assumption was unable to close the gap until Carey scored on a layup with 5:44 left to trim it to 64-42. Neither team scored again until a Queens free throw made it 65-42 with 3:12 remaining and the Knights finished with the 69-48 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 37.5 percent from the floor and went 6 of 15 from downtown, but Queens had 17 more field goal attempts and shot 44.6 percent from the field and were 7-for-15 from downtown.
- The Knights held a 36-30 edge on the boards, including five more offensive rebounds while forcing 20 turnovers.
- Carey paced the offense with 14 points and five rebounds while Stoddard was also in double figures with 11 points, five assists and five turnovers. Storey added eight points, three assists and six boards while Jo Impellizeri (Seaford, N.Y. / St. Anthony's) chipped in eight rebounds, three steals and three points.
- Madison Rowland led all scorers with 28 points while sister Mackenzie added 12 rebounds, seven points and five assists.
- Assumption finished its season with 19 victories, its most since winning 22 contests during the 2012-13 campaign.