- Score: Le Moyne 62, Assumption 54
- Record: Le Moyne (15-12, 10-10 NE10), Assumption (19-8, 14-7 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
The Lead: No. 2 seed Assumption trailed by as many as 16 points in the opening quarter but fought back to cut the deficit to one point in the final quarter. However, third seed Le Moyne hit some big shots down the stretch to escape with the 62-54 upset victory in the NE10 Quarterfinals on Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Le Moyne started the game strong, holding Assumption to just two points while scoring 16 for the 14-pointlead with two minutes remaining. Nicole Riddick led the Dolphins to their early lead, tallying seven points. Trailing 19-3, Allison Stoddard (East Lyme, Conn. / East Lyme) ended the drought with a layup at the buzzer to end the quarter down 19-5.
- The Greyhounds forced two turnovers in the first minute while scoring a quick three points. Le Moyne answered on the other end with a layup, and Kelly Carey (Long Beach, N.Y. / Holy Trinity) eventually connected on a three-pointer with 6:49 left to trim the lead to single digits again. The Dolphins responded with a basket and never allowed the lead to dip below ten, closing the half on a layup at the buzzer by Ailayia Demand, to lead 32-19.
- Jo Impellizeri (Seaford, N.Y. / St. Anthony's) started the third with four points in the first two minutes. Carey then connected on a three-pointer with 7:15 remaining to cut the deficit back to single digits, 35-26. The Dolphins didn't go away and continued to convert on the offensive end, before Carey connected on back-to-back three-pointers, trimming the Dolphins' lead to six with just over two minutes remaining. Stoddard provided two layups in the last minute to make it a four point game, 43-39 after three.
- The teams traded baskets over the first four minutes, until Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I / Narragansett) hit a three-pointer with 6:00 left to cut the deficit to three, 48-45. She followed with a layup with 4:25 remaining to make it a two-point game and Jaclyn Storey (Cumberland, Maine / Greely) made 1 of 2 free throws to pull within one, 50-49, at 3:04. The Dolphins hit a jumper and then McKayla Roberts connected on a three with 1:45 left to extend the Dolphins lead to 55-49. Assumption missed its next two attempts and were forced to foul with 1:08 left. Le Moyne went 7-for-8 from the line in the final 70 seconds to earn the 62-54 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption struggled from the field, shooting 32.7 percent from the field and went 7 of 23 from downtown with 17 turnovers. The Dolphins shot 40.4 percent, connecting on 6 of 15 three-pointers.
- The Dolphins outscored Assumption 18-14 on points in the paint and 13-3 in bench points. They also tallied 6 steals over the course of the game though the Hounds did hold a 38-37 rebounding advantage.
- Carey led the Hounds with 17 points and six rebounds, connecting on five 3-pointers. Stoddard contributed 15 points along with three rebounds and three assists while Impellizeri chipped in six points, six rebounds and three assists.
- Roberts led Le Moyne with 16 points while Nicole Riddick had 13 points, 11 rebounds, two steals and two blocks.
- Assumption will see if it can earn an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament when the field is announced on March 5.
- For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.