- Score: Assumption 56, Merrimack 42
- Record: Assumption (17-7, 12-7 NE10), Merrimack (11-13, 9-10 NE10)
- Location: North Andover, Mass. (Hammel Court)
The Lead: Assumption trailed 27-18 at the half but responded with a dominant second half, outscoring Merrimack 38-15 over the final 20 minutes to come away with a 56-42 victory on the road Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Merrimack scored the first four points of the contest and led 9-2 through six minutes of action. Allison Stoddard (East Lyme, Conn. / East Lyme) ended the run with a pair of free throws at 3:29 and Assumption eventually tied the game at 9-9 on an Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) jumper with 1:22 left. A Warrior three with 17 seconds remaining made it 12-9 after one.
- Six straight points by Merrimack to open the second extended its lead to 18-9. The Hounds responded with five to close the gap to four, but five consecutive points by the Warriors stretched their lead to 23-14 at 2:08, and they led by as much as 12 before going into the half up 27-18.
- Assumption went on a 9-2 run to begin the third and pull within two, 29-27, just 2:03 into the period. The Hounds trailed by three midway through the quarter, before Stoddard connected on a triple to even the score at 33 apiece. Jaclyn Storey (Cumberland, Maine / Greely) eventually gave Assumption a one-point lead and it was 38-37 Hounds after three.
- Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass. / Reading) led off the fourth with a trey for the four-point lead, as Assumption started the period on an 11-2 run. Jo Impellizeri (Seaford, N.Y. / St. Anthony's) extended the lead to 51-39 with 3:08 left as the Hounds pulled away for the 14-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption finished the game shooting 38.2 percent from the floor and were 6 of 19 from downtown while limiting the Warriors to 2 for 13 from beyond the arc and just 31.6 percent shooting overall.
- The Hounds held a 42-34 edge on the boards as it received 12 points from the bench, compared to 13 for Merrimack.
- Impellizeri dominated the glass with 14 rebounds, six offensive, while scoring ten points and blocking a pair of shots. Storey added 11 points, four rebounds and one steal while Stoddard posted 13 points, five rebounds and three assists.
- No Merrimack player scored more than eight points, as Savannah Johnson recorded seven points, 13 rebounds, four blocks and three steals.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the team travels to play St. Michael's at 1:30 pm.