- Score: Assumption 71, Southern New Hampshire 57
- Records: Assumption (13-7, 9-6 NE-10) Southern New Hampshire (12-9, 6-9 NE-10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Led by a career-high 21-point effort from juniors Jaclyn Storey (Cumberland, Maine/Greely), the Assumption College women's basketball team jumped out to an early lead and came away with a 71-57 home victory over Southern New Hampshire on Wednesday night. The win gives the Hounds a split of the regular-season series with the Penmen.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first, the Hounds jumped out to a quick 6-0 lead on back-to-back threes from Storey and junior Kelly Carey (Long Beach, N.Y./Holy Trinity). A layup from Storey just 2:44 into the game pushed the lead to double digits at 13-3 before the Hounds took the eventual 21-13 lead thru one quarter.
- The Hounds maintained control throughout the second period, including leading 28-17 just past the midway point of the quarter. Assumption took the 42-27 lead into the halftime break behind 62.1 percent shooting from the field and outscoring the Penmen 15-3 from three-point land. The Hounds also forced 11 SNHU turnovers in the half as Storey led all scorers with 14 points over the first 20 minutes.
- Both teams had a quiet third quarter as the Hounds led 48-37 with 2:32 on the clock after a pair of free throws from SNHU's Jennifer Shelp. Assumption did use a corner three from junior Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass./Reading) to fuel a 5-0 run to close the period for the commanding 53-37 edge with 10 minutes remaining.
- The Penmen closed to within nine at 66-57 with 1:49 remaining after a long jumper from straight away from freshman Kylie Lorenzen before Assumption again pushed into double digits. The Hounds closed on a 5-0 run, capped by two free throws from senior captain Kelly Conley (Ellington, Conn./Ellington) with 28 seconds remaining.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Storey led all scorers with the 21-point effort as she was 8-for-9 from the field. Junior Allison Stoddard (East Lyme, Conn./East Lyme) finished with 15 points and eight assists, which tied her career high. Conley nearly finished with a double-double with nine points and eight rebounds to go along with four steals and two assists. For the game, the Hounds shot 54.9 percent from the field and turned the Penmen over 20 times.
- Shelp led the Penmen with 17 points, while Sara Ryan chipped in 10. The Penmen shot 40.4 percent from the field for the game and just 64.7 percent from the free throw line.
- Assumption is ranked No. 8 in this week's D2SIDA East Region Poll.
- Assumption is back in action on Saturday, February 6th as the Hounds travel to Bentley University for a 1:30 p.m. start at the Dana Center in Waltham, Mass.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the women's basketball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.