- Score: Assumption 63, New Haven 54
- Records: Assumption (11-5, 7-4 NE-10) New Haven (7-9, 3-7 NE-10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: On Saturday afternoon, the Assumption College women's basketball team improved to 11-5 overall and 7-4 in Northeast-10 play with a convincing 63-54 home win over the University of New Haven at Laska Gym.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds took an early 4-2 lead, en route to dominating the first quarter by a 16-3 margin. The lead rose into double digits for the first time at 14-2 at the midway point on a three from junior Allison Stoddard (East Lyme, Conn./East Lyme) before the Hounds took the 13-point lead thru one.
- Freshman Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I./Narragansett) knocked down a three with 9:25 left in the second before the Chargers began to put together a rally. With the Hounds leading 22-8, New Haven used six points from Briana Bradford to key an 8-0 scoring run and cut the lead down to just six at 22-16. Assumption's Kiera O'Donnell (Cheshire, Conn./Holy Cross) scored on a layup off a pass from Stoddard with 1:05 left in the half as the hosts took a 29-20 lead into the halftime break.
- In the third, Assumption led by at least nine points throughout nearly the whole period before Lauren Hebert knocked down a runner at the buzzer for New Haven for the 44-37 margin heading to the final 10 minutes. Both teams had a balanced scoring effort through three periods as 16 different players scored over the first 30 minutes of play.
- New Haven came out strong in the final quarter and with 3:30 left, the game was down to just a two-point margin at 48-46 after a jumper from Hebert. Assumption answered with an 11-3 run that included eight Hound free throws and a three from junior Kelly Carey (Long Beach, N.Y./Holy Trinity) to push it back to double digits with 1:07 left. The Chargers used a three from the corner by Bradford with 35.2 left to cut it down to five before free throws sealed the nine-point win for Assumption.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Senior Kelly Conley (Ellington, Conn./Ellington) led the Hounds with 17 points, including a 15-for-17 performance at the free throw line. Stoddard added 12 points, along with 10 from Carey. Bradford led the Chargers with 24 points and nine rebounds, but also turned the ball over nine times in 35 minutes. Hebert finished in double figures as well with 12 points to go along with seven rebounds and a game-high four steals.
- For the game, the Chargers shot just 8.3 percent from three and 28.4 percent from the game. Assumption outscored New Haven 24-15 from the free throw line, while the Chargers forced a season-high 27 Assumption turnovers.
- Assumption is ranked No. 4 in the most recent D2SIDA East Region Poll.
- Assumption is back in action at home on Saturday, January 23rd as the Hounds host Pace University for a 1 p.m. start in Laska Gym.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the women's basketball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.