- Score: No. 10 Assumption 78, No. 19 Bentley 72 (OT)
- Records: Assumption (5-0, 3-0 NE-10) Bentley (4-1, 2-1 NE-10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Led by a balanced scoring effort and a defense that forced 21 turnovers, the No. 10 ranked Assumption College women's basketball team stayed unbeaten with a 78-72 overtime win over No. 19 ranked Bentley University on Tuesday night at Laska Gym.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption was led by 18 points each from juniors Allison Stoddard (East Lyme, Conn./East Lyme) and Morgan O'Brien (Reading, Mass./Reading), along with 12 points from senior Kelly Conley (Ellington, Conn./Ellington). Junior Jen Gemma led all scorers in the game for Bentley with a 31-point, 12-rebound double-double.
- The Hounds outscored the Falcons 30-12 from three-point land, while Bentley held an 18-14 edge at the free throw line. Bentley also held a substantial edge on the boards at 46-30.
- Assumption's bench, led by the 18 from O'Brien, outscored Bentley's bench by a 29-12 margin. In addition, the Hounds converted eight offensive rebounds into 17 second-chance points in the win.
- Assumption is ranked No. 10 in the D2SIDA National Poll and is receiving votes in the USA Today Coaches Poll, while Bentley is ranked No. 19 in the D2SIDA Poll and is No. 24 in the Coaches Poll. The Hounds are ranked No. 1 in the D2SIDA East Region Poll, while the Falcons are tied for the No. 2 spot in the rankings.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Falcons jumped out to an early 14-6 edge after a layup from Gemma just 3:32 into the game before the hosts answered. With a 10-1 run that was capped off by a jumper from O'Brien, the Hounds took their first lead of the game at 16-15 with 4:02 left in the first. Assumption eventually took a 24-20 lead after one and extended that out to as much as 10 at 39-29 with 3:58 remaining in the second quarter. Bentley pulled to within four late in the first half before a jumper from O'Brien in the final seconds made it 41-35 Hounds at the break.
- Midway thru the third quarter, it seemingly all Hounds as Assumption led 50-40 with 5:58 on the clock. Bentley came roaring to life though and with a 16-3 to close the period, it was the Falcons who held a 56-53 edge heading to the final 10 minutes of regulation.
- Bentley led the entire fourth quarter until the final seconds, including still holding a 68-64 edge with 1:28 remaining after another Gemma layup. Junior Jaclyn Storey (Cumberland, Maine/Greely) scored on a layup with under a minute left before Stoddard eventually got fouled attempting a three with 5.9 seconds remaining and her team down three. After missing the first of three free throws, she hit the final two and the game headed to OT at 68-68.
- In overtime, the Hounds trailed just once at 70-68 before a three-pointer by freshman Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass./Ursuline Academy) put Assumption in front for good. Free throws late sealed the win, which is the third straight over Bentley in the all-time series.
- Assumption returns to action on Sunday, November 29th as the Hounds travel to nationally-ranked Queens College for a non-conference game beginning at 3:30 p.m.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the men's basketball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.