- Event: NE10 Championship – Day 3
- Results: 2nd out of 10 teams
- Location: Worcester, Mass.: Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI)
- The Lead: The Assumption swimming and diving sits in second place heading into the final day of the NE10 Championships, trailing Southern Connecticut by just 4.5 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds received fantastic performances all day, but none more than in the 100 breaststroke where two members of Assumption medaled. Sophomore Abbey Holmes (Laurel, Md. / Archbishop Spalding) raced her way to a second place finish with a time of 1:06.16, while freshman Isabelle Roberts (Nantucket, Mass. / Nantucket) finished third with a time of 1:06.44.
- In the 200 freestyle, senior Bry Veroneau (Belchertown, Mass. / Belchertown) took home a silver medal, as she touched the wall in second with a time of 1:53.68. Sophomore Colleen Kurtz (Somerset, N.J. / Rutgers Preparatory) joined her in the finals and placed sixth in 1:56.03. Junior Shannon Quirk (Wakefield, Mass. / Wakefield Memorial), sophomore Emma Magna (Niantic, Conn. / East Lyme), and classmate Sydney LaQue (Burnt Hills, N.Y. / Burnt Hills Ballston Lake) placed 10th, 11th and 13th with times of 1:56.42, 1:56.62 and 1:59.45, respectively.
- Freshman Anne Guadalupi (Augusta, Maine / Cony) had one of the swims of the night, placing third in the 100 backstroke with a time of 58.27 seconds. Sophomore Sydney Rangulong (Duxbury, Mass. / Duxbury) and senior Courtney Barr (Waltham, Mass. / Matignon) finished 13th and 14th with times of 1:00.06 and 1:00.59.
- The 200 freestyle relay consisting of Veroneau, Holmes, Rangulong and sophomore Natalia Kaczor (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee) earned a silver medal after combining to finish in 1:37.70. Magna, junior Morgan Nicholls (East London, South Africa / Clarendon), Kurtz and senior Bella Omobono (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) won the 'B' Final in the event with a time of 1:39.21.
- Senior Niamh Morgan (Bettystown, Ireland / Sacred Heart School) competed in the 400 IM and paced the Hounds with a fourth place finish (4:36.28), while Nichols won the 'B' Final with a time of 4:36.21. Freshman Lauren Kuhns (Homer, Alaska / Homer) and junior Ali Petrozza (North Andover, Mass. / Austin Preparatory School placed 12th and 13th with times of 4:44.26 and 4:44.42.
- Kaczor paced the Hounds in the 100 fly, touching the wall in 58.00 seconds. Barr finished in sixth (58.11 seconds), while Petrozza (59.85 seconds), Omobono (59.90 seconds) and junior Kelsey Kozikowski (Berlin, Conn. / Berlin) (1:00.14) placed 10th, 11th and 12th, respectively.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- At the conclusion of day three, Assumption sits within striking distance of the leader Southern Connecticut State, as the Owls lead with 579 points. The Hounds have tallied 574.5, just 4.5 points back of the lead which is vastly different from a season ago, where the Hounds where down by over 50 points before rallying to within 10 points on the final day.
- Assumption returns to action tomorrow as the 2018 NE10 Championships concludes, starting at 10:00 a.m.