- Event: 2017 NE10 Championships
- Results: 2nd of 9 teams
- Location: New Haven, Conn. (Hutchinson Natatorium)
- The Lead: The Assumption College women's swimming & diving team produced a massive comeback on the final day of the 2017 NE10 Championships, overcoming a 60 point deficit to make the score so close that the officials could not indicate a winner after recounting the score numerous times. After every team left the pool deck, it was announced that Assumption placed second with 851 points, as Southern Connecticut won with 861 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Shannon Quirk (Wakefield, Mass. / Wakefield Memorial) opened up the final day of the NE10 Championships in the 1650 freestyle, winning the gold medal while breaking the school and conference record with a time of 17:16.27. Senior Rachel Lanam (Sebastian, Fla. / Sebastian River) made a late push to finish fourth overall in 17:40.84, while freshman Sydney LaQue (Burnt Hills, N.Y. / Burnt Hills Ballston Lake) placed eighth with a time of 18:01.49.
- Junior Niamh Morgan (Bettystown, Ireland / Sacred Heart School) led the way for the Hounds in the 200 yard backstroke, finishing in fourth place with a time of 2:05.99. LaQue came in right behind Morgan in fifth place (2:07.35), while junior Courtney Barr (Waltham, Mass. / Matignon) placed sixth in 2:08.43.
- In the 100 freestyle, junior Bry Veroneau (Belchertown, Mass. / Belchertown) raced to a sixth place finish with a time of 53.71 seconds, while sophomore Morgan Nicholls (East London, South Africa / Clarendon) finished in seventh in 54.15 seconds. In the B final, the Hounds swept the event as freshmen Emma Magna (Niantic, Conn. / East Lyme), Abbey Holmes (Laurel, MD / Archbishop Spalding) and senior Allie Wuerfl (Wayland, Mass. / Wayland) went 1-2-3 with times of 53.43, 53.52 and 53.71 seconds.
- Another Assumption record fell during the 200 breaststroke as freshman Kelsey Johnstone (Southwick, Mass. / Westfield) took the silver medal with a time of 2:23.59. Senior McKenzie Johnson (Goffstown, N.H. / Goffstown) won the B final after touching the wall in 2:30.28.
- The team of Veroneau, freshman Abbey Holmes (Laurel, MD / Archbishop Spalding), classmate Emma Magna (Niantic, Conn. / East Lyme) and Wuerfl raced to the silver medal in the 400 freestyle relay with a time of 3:32.31.
- In the B final of the 400 freestyle relay, the quartet of senior Tricia Lee (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood), junior Niamh Morgan (Bettystown, Ireland / Sacred Heart School), Nicholls and Kaczor placed first with a time of 3:35.19.
BEHIND THE RESULTS:
- After being down by 60 points, Assumption made a furious comeback to score 851 points, just ten behind Southern Connecticut State University who won the meet with a total of 861 points. Bentley finished in third with a score of 602 points, followed by Saint Rose (476), Pace (388), Le Moyne (341), Saint Michael's (266), Merrimack (193) and Adelphi (181).
- The Hounds currently await decision on NCAA qualifiers. The NCAA Championships are scheduled for March 8-11 in Birmingham, Alabama.