- Event: 2017 NE10 Championships
- Results: 2nd of 9 teams
- Location: New Haven, Conn. (Hutchinson Natatorium)
- The Lead: The Assumption College women's swimming & diving team remain in second place after day three of the 2017 NE10 Championships on Saturday evening with a team score of 552 after 27 events. The Hounds finished the day strong, as the two 200 freestyle relay's claimed the gold medal and the B final.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The highlight of the evening was the final event, as both of the 200 freestyle relays claimed their respective races. Senior Allie Wuerfl (Wayland, Mass. / Wayland), junior Bella Omobono (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford), sophomore Morgan Nicholls (East London, South Africa / Clarendon) and junior Niamh Morgan (Bettystown, Ireland / Sacred Heart School) kicked off the B final with a win, defeating Southern Connecticut by just .01 seconds, as they finished with a time of 1:40.28.
- In the final of the 200 freestyle relay, junior Bry Veroneau (Belchertown, Mass. / Belchertown), and freshmen Emma Magna (Niantic, Conn. / East Lyme), Abbey Holmes (Laurel, MD / Archbishop Spalding) and Natalia Kaczor (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee) not only won the gold medal, they also set a new school record with their time of 1:37.49.
- Morgan opened up day three with a third place finish in the 400 IM to earn the bronze medal, finishing with a time of 4:32.19. Senior Tricia Lee (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) won the B final in 4:43.77, while classmate McKenzie Johnson (Goffstown, N.H. / Goffstown) and sophomore Ali Petrozza (North Andover, Mass. / Austin Preparatory School) placed second and third as the Hounds swept the race, finishing with times of 4:45.27 and 4:47.62, respectively.
- In the 100 fly, Kaczor swam to the bronze medal with a time of 58.54 seconds, while junior Courtney Barr (Waltham, Mass. / Matignon) finished fourth in 58.58 seconds and Omobono placed eighth in 1:00.13.
- Freshman Colleen Kurtz (Somerset, N.J. / Rutgers Preparatory) finished in eighth in the final of the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:57.62. Sophomore Shannon Quirk (Wakefield, Mass. / Wakefield Memorial) led a pack of four Hounds in the B final with a second place finish in 1:56.15, while Wuerfl, Magna and Veroneau placed third, sixth, and seventh in 1:56.33, 1:57.49 and 1:58.09, respectively.
- In the 100 backstroke finals, freshman Kelsey Johnstone (Southwick, Mass. / Westfield) claimed the silver medal, clocking in at 59.03 seconds. In the B final, Barr also placed second with a time of 1:00.99.
- Holmes and Nicholls competed in the 100 breaststroke finals and finished in fifth and sixth with times of 1:07.52 and 1:07.96.
BEHIND THE RESULTS:
- After three days of competition, Assumption (552) sits in second place behind Southern Connecticut State University who leads with a total of 608 points. Bentley is currently in third with a score of 445 points followed by Saint Rose (363), Pace (282), Le Moyne (266), Saint Michael's (206), Adelphi (139) and Merrimack (139).
- The 2017 NE10 Championships will continue throughout the weekend and finish on Sunday. The squads will begin Sunday's prelim competition at 9:45 a.m. before kicking off finals competition at 6:00 p.m.