- Score: Assumption 6, Southern N.H. 5 (Game One), Southern N.H. 1, Assumption 0 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (19-15, 14-10 NE10), Southern N.H. (36-11, 19-8 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Marois Field)
- The Lead: The Assumption College softball team took the first game from Southern New Hampshire as they beat the Penmen 6-5 in a game continued from yesterday, but then fell 1-0 in the second game to split on senior day in the team's regular season finale.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the bottom of the first on Friday, the Hounds tallied their first two runs of the game. Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem) walked to kick off the inning, and then Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass./Lowell) reached on and error. Next batter Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield) also reached on an error to load the bases. Senior Stephanie Menard (Cranston, R.I./Cranston) hit a sacrifice fly to score Murphy, and then later Drakoulakos scored on an error. The game was halted due to weather in the bottom of the first and resumed today
- Southern New Hampshire cut the deficit to 2-1 in the top of the third as Emily Critch hit a single to right field to score Brittany Perdigao. In the fourth, they took the 3-2 lead as Pedigao hit a RBI single and Shay Sauvageau connected on a RBI triple.
- In the bottom of the fifth the Hounds reclaimed the lead as Menard hit a two- RBI double to score Beaton and Ally Hinojosa (Revere, Mass./Revere). Southern New Hampshire added two runs in the top of sixth to grab a 5-4 advantage.
- In the bottom of the frame the Hounds answered with two more runs. Senior Nicole Duplease (Leominster, Mass./Leominster) doubled to center field to start the inning and then junior Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./Milford) singled to advance Duplease to third. Duplease scored the game-tying run when Drakoulakos reached on an error. Beaton hit a sacrifice fly to left field to score Mazzeo for the eventual game-winning run.
- In the top of the seventh the Hounds took care of the first three batters to earn the 6-5 victory.
- The Penmen scored the only run of the game in the top of the fourth as pitcher Sarah Lavallee hit a solo home run to take the 1-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the sixth inning the Hounds had two runners on as Beaton doubled and Menard walked but the Penmen were able to get the final out of the frame to end the inning. Assumption went down in order in the seventh.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- In game one, freshman pitcher Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Marys Lynn) faced 31 batters, surrendered nine hits and recorded five strikeouts in 5.2 innings, while senior pitcher Kendal Roy (Grafton, Mass./ Grafton) closed out the game in 1.1 innings and did not allow a hit. Menard led the offense with three RBI and a double, while Beaton, Drakoulakos and Caitlin Mirabell (Shoreham, N.Y./Shoreham) each had a RBI.
- In game two, Roy tossed seven innings recorded five strikeouts, and only allowed three hits. Beaton hit a double while Menard tripled. Roy also became the third pitcher in program history to reach 300 strikeouts, finishing the game with 303.
- On Tuesday, May 1, the Hounds will travel to Merrimack to face the Warriors in the first round of the NE10 Tournament.