Hounds End Season With 5-0 Loss at Bentley
Waltham, Mass. (April 22) -- In a first round match in the 2014 Northeast-10 Conference Championship, the Assumption College men's tennis team dropped a 5-0 final to No. 3 seed Bentley University on Tuesday afternoon. The Hounds, who were the No. 6 seed in the championship, earned the team's first Northeast-10 postseason berth since the 2009 season.
The Falcons picked up a sweep of the doubles action, including a 9-8 victory in the No. 2 spot with a 7-5 victory in the tiebreak. Freshman Chris Waung (Bolton, Conn./East Catholic) held a 6-3, 1-0 edge in No. 1 singles, along with a 7-5, 2-0 lead at No. 2 singles by freshman Marco Leung (Macao/The International School of Macao) when the Falcons picked up the clinching fifth point for the first-round victory.
Assumption concludes the season at 9-8 overall, while Bentley improves to 11-7 overall and advances to the Northeast-10 Championship Semifinals vs. No. 2 seeded Southern New Hampshire.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
Bentley 5, Assumption 0
04/22/14 at Waltham, Mass.
1. Jimmy Rindo (BEN) vs. Chris Waung (ASM) 3-6, 0-1, unfinished
2. Kamil Pilch (BEN) vs. Marco Leung (ASM) 5-7, 0-2, unfinished
3. Andrew Waddington (BEN) vs. Viljami Rahnasto (ASM) 7-6, 1-0, unfinished
4. Chase Rosa (BEN) def. Matt Surpenant (ASM) 6-1, 6-3
5. Evan Chomka (BEN) def. Michael Breen (ASM) 6-0, 6-2
6. Alex DeMuth (BEN) vs. Matt Drolet (ASM) 6-1, 5-2, unfinished
1. Alex DeMuth/Kamil Pilch (BEN) def. Chris Waung/Viljami Rahnasto (ASM) 8-5
2. Jimmy Rindo/Andrew Waddington (BEN) def. Marco Leung/Matt Drolet (ASM) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Chase Rosa/Sam Frye (BEN) def. Michael Breen/Matt Surpenant (ASM) 8-2