Worcester, Mass. (October 8) -- The Assumption College men's tennis team defeated Regis College, 8-1, at the Assumption College tennis courts on Tuesday afternoon.
Freshman Chris Waung (Bolton, Conn. / East Catholic) earned two points on the day as he earned a 6-1, 6-3 victory at number one singles and paired with transfer Viljami Rahnasto (Vantaa, Finland) to earn an 8-0 win at number one doubles. Rahnasto also won his singles match, 6-2, 6-3.
Freshman Andrew LaMonica (York, Maine / York) picked up a win at number three singles for the Greyhounds with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Jarid Polley, while he also won his doubles match, working with graduate student Michael Breen (Holden, Mass. / Saint John's) to earn an 8-6 win at number two doubles. Breen also won in tie-break at number six singles to earn two points on the day.
Graduate student Matt Drolet (Cumberland, R.I. / Mount Saint Charles) paired with freshman Tom Knight (Wilbraham, Mass. / Minnechaug) and remained undefeated as a doubles team, improving to 3-0 with an 8-4 win at number three doubles.
The Greyhounds improve to 1-3 with the win while Regis falls to 0-4 with the loss. Assumption concluded their fall schedule with the match and will return to action in the spring.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
1. Chris Waung (ASM) def. Michael Beluch (REG) 6-1, 6-3
2. Viljami Rahnasto (ASM) def. Nathan Cohen (REG) 6-2, 6-3
3. Andrew LaMonica (ASM) def. Jarid Polley (REG) 6-3, 6-3
4. Jeremy Morgenbesser (REG) def. Matt Drolet (ASM) 7-6 (10-4), 6-3
5. Matt Surpenant (ASM) def. Andy White (REG) 6-3, 7-6 (10-4)
6. Michael Breen (ASM) def. Nick Hildreth (REG) 6-2, 4-6, 10-4
1. Chris Waung/Viljami Rahnasto (ASM) def. Michael Beluch/Jarid Polley (REG) 8-0
2. Michael Breen/Andrew LaMonico (ASM) def. Nathan Cohen/Jeremy Morgenbesser (REG) 8-6
3. Tom Knight/Matt Drolet (ASM) def. Austin Nace/Andy White (REG) 8-4