Dudley, Mass. (September 30) -- The Assumption College men's tennis team dropped a 7-2 final to Nichols College at the Robinson Tennis Courts on Monday afternoon.
Tranfer Viljami Rahnasto (Vantaa, Finland) defeated Carlos De La Cruz at number two singles by a 7-5, 6-3 final to earn the Greyhounds lone singles point.
In doubles action the Greyhounds fell by a 2-1 final, but graduate student Matt Drolet (Cumberland, R.I. / Mt. St. Charles) and freshman Tom Knight (Wilbraham, Mass. / Minnechaug) paired together for an 8-7 (7-3) victory at number three doubles to improve to 2-0 as a pairing this season.
Rahnasto and freshman Chris Waung (Bolton, Conn. / East Catholic) battled at number one doubles, dropping a hard-fought 8-6 final to De La Cruz and Brandon Roode.
The Greyhounds fall to 0-3 on the season and will return to action on October 8th against Regis College. The match will begin at 3 p.m. at the Assumption Tennis Courts.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
1. Brandon Roode (NC) def. Chris Waung (ASM) 6-4, 6-0
2. Viljami Rahnasto (ASM) def. Carlos De La Cruz (NC) 7-5, 6-3
3. Joan Castillo (NC) def. Andrew LaMonico (ASM) 6-2, 6-2
4. Josh Halpern (NC) def. Matt Drolet (ASM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Jake Zapatka (NC) def. Matt Surpenant (ASM) 6-0, 6-0
6. James Smith (NC) def. Michael Breen (ASM) 8-2
1. Brandon Roode/Carlos De La Cruz (NC) def. Chris Waung/Viljami Rahnasto (ASM) 8-6
2. Josh Halpern/James Smith (NC) def. Michael Breen/Andrew LaMonico (ASM) 8-1
3. Matt Drolet/Tom Knight (ASM) def. Dan Roman/Paul Healy (NC) 8-7 (7-3)