-Score: No. 16 Saint Anselm 12, Assumption 3
-Records: Saint Anselm (8-3, 7-3 NE10), Assumption (7-5, 5-5 NE10)
-Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
-The Lead: Assumption's offense struggled early and 16th-ranked Saint Anselm took advantage, grabbing a 6-1 halftime advantage on the way to a 12-3 victory on Saturday afternoon and senior day for the Hounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds were unable to maintain possession in the offensive zone during the first quarter while Saint Anselm scored four goals.The Hawks opened the sored at 13:14 and added three more in the final nine minutes of the period
- Assumption ballowed two more goals before scoring their own with 2:49 left in the quarter by Spencer Marocchini (Somers, Mass. / Wilbraham and Monson Academy) assisted by Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham). Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) made four saves in the period to leave the Hounds down 6-1 at the break.
- Saint Anselm dominated the third as the Hawks scored five goals for an 11-1 leading going into the fourth while outshooting Assumption 16-7 in the period. Senior Dan Matisoff (Milton, Mass. / Milton) tallied a goal 1:16 into the fourth to make it 11-2 game. The Hawks came back with yet another goal with 9:15 left for a score of 12-2. The Hounds stepped up their defense, shutting out Saint Anselm over the last nine minutes, and with fifteen seconds remaining in the game, Matisoff added another goal, which was assisted by Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption was outshot 42-24 in the contest, while the Hawks also picked up more ground balls (27-22) and had 12 caused turnovers.
- Matisoff led the Hounds in points tallying two goals while Marocchini, Reid, and Jennings totaled one point each. Hamwey had thirteen saves in defeat.
- Junior Connor Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham Regional) won 10 of 19 faceoffs with four ground balls, while Aidan Murphy (Saratoga Springs, N.Y. / Christian Brothers Academy) had three ground balls.
-Saint Anselm's Ryan Hesseltine led the Hawks in points, tallying four goals and two assists. Nick Richard earned the win in net as he made eight saves and gave up one goal in 45 minutes.
- The Hounds return to action on Friday when they conlude their regular season with a trip to Pace and an NE10 Tournament bid on the line.